• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buying a house

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
Got a new job that just about doubles my pay and need to now buy a house, especially since the new job is a good 70+ miles from here. That and apartment living sucks! Any advice/leads/links/free foreclosure info/etc? :) I'll be looking in the 29 Palms, Joshua Tree, Yucca Valley area. Preferably one of the first two.

BlackSport96 said:
Got a new job that just about doubles my pay and need to now buy a house, especially since the new job is a good 70+ miles from here. That and apartment living sucks! Any advice/leads/links/free foreclosure info/etc? :) I'll be looking in the 29 Palms, Joshua Tree, Yucca Valley area. Preferably one of the first two.
oakhills near hesperia, really cheap!

congrats on the new job! Maybe rpraterxj can help ya out even though he is in OC

go in to a area driva around a bit and get a feel of what is there and if it meets your goals like being freeway close or school close or whatever then hit a couple more areas decide on where you like best THEN go look at a local real estate office for a steal. Be patient they are out there so don't go grabbing the first fixer upper they show ya. also get your own inspector to look at the house and then compare the reports it will cost a little more now but could save you tons later

djblade311 said:
congrats on the new job! Maybe rpraterxj can help ya out even though he is in OC

Thanks Josh!

BlackSport - You have a PM. Congrats on the new job!

You lucky dog!
I have been looking in the Joshua Tree area as well as some of the other communities out there. Since you already live in the desert you might well know to pay attention to afternoon sun hitting windows, and pay attention to wind patterns.
The wife and I are heading out there to look some more around (Colinga? Or is that some other earthquake prone area..) We are looking for my 'final resting place.' That is to say, after we retire I want a place in the dez near my place in Big Bear, not to mention being closer to the Hammers!!

Rick

why anyone woudl want to retire and live out thier days in southern cali, is beyond me! I was born here and swore I would never move out. I have done and seen and had all cali has to offer and now want nothing more then to give it all to someone else that thinks this is the place to be (for a price of course and thats why we are still here), and move to someplace where land cost less then the dwelling, air is clear, water is clean, people wave thier hand at you in passing not thier finger or weapon, and the government or governer is unheard from and just does thier job, not pushing thier propaganda on ya. And yes those places still exsist haha.. Colorado, Wyoming, Momtana Or, Wa, etc...

ROBERTK said:
why anyone woudl want to retire and live out thier days in southern cali, is beyond me! I was born here and swore I would never move out. I have done and seen and had all cali has to offer and now want nothing more then to give it all to someone else that thinks this is the place to be (for a price of course and thats why we are still here), and move to someplace where land cost less then the dwelling, air is clear, water is clean, people wave thier hand at you in passing not thier finger or weapon, and the government or governer is unheard from and just does thier job, not pushing thier propaganda on ya. And yes those places still exsist haha.. Colorado, Wyoming, Momtana Or, Wa, etc...

Alabama, Tenessee, Arkansas...

Mostly because I'm a Cali kinda' guy.....
I take advantage of cheap labor, don't realy give a rip what the
property costs, I'm not likely to buy in a seller's market, I have always
lived in small towns (we still wave :wave1:) and I love the ocean.

Sand dunes, rock piles, badlands, desert, mountains, ocean...I got it all here.

Although I'd bet there are places in every state that I could hang with...

Rick

I got a 2 bedroom for sale in 29 Palms, See Nicole Lenwell at 29 Palms reality. She is awesome to work with.

Leep said:
Alabama, Tenessee, Arkansas...

TN sucks, ask me how I know. I'm moving back to SoCal this summer.

silverslk said:
Oklahoma, Arizona...

Ive heard that Oklahoma is OK. :rolleyes:

Shelby: I'll be takin a look at that house fairly soon. We'll see what happens.

We'll be checkin out a lot of stuff comin up here. I want to try and get out of our apartment lease since it runs out in June, and I don't look forward to another June moving day...[shudder] But failing that, I'll just have to keep a medic on hand. Carrying large solid wood furniture down from the second floor when its 125* can't be any more fun than it was carrying up the stairs.

Rick: Are you sure about the name Colinga? My mother in law has never heard of it and she's all over the desert doing horseshoeing. Maybe Landers? That's fairly near to Johnson Valley and fairly earthquake prone...:D

Blazair: AZ's better than OK, Tucson was great. Gun laws made sense, other laws (mostly) made sense. Still hot though. :)

BlackSport96 said:
Rick: Are you sure about the name Colinga? My mother in law has never heard of it and she's all over the desert doing horseshoeing. Maybe Landers? That's fairly near to Johnson Valley and fairly earthquake prone...:D

Maybe Coalinga? In Fresno county... :dunno:

Jump This said:
You lucky dog!
I have been looking in the Joshua Tree area as well as some of the other communities out there. Since you already live in the desert you might well know to pay attention to afternoon sun hitting windows, and pay attention to wind patterns.
The wife and I are heading out there to look some more around (Colinga? Or is that some other earthquake prone area..) We are looking for my 'final resting place.' That is to say, after we retire I want a place in the dez near my place in Big Bear, not to mention being closer to the Hammers!!

Rick
Hey Rick... Fawk you.... just fawk you....
finger004.gif

Jump This said:
Mostly because I'm a Cali kinda' guy.....
I take advantage of cheap labor, don't realy give a rip what the
property costs, I'm not likely to buy in a seller's market, I have always
lived in small towns (we still wave :wave1:) and I love the ocean.

Sand dunes, rock piles, badlands, desert, mountains, ocean...I got it all here.

Although I'd bet there are places in every state that I could hang with...

Rick

Paso Robles

Wine country, rural but big enough to have a Costco, 30 mins from Pismo Beach, people you don't know say hi in public, affordable (for Cali) housing, did I mention kick ass wine? I grew up in South Bay and lived up there for 3 years. I'm trying to get back up there. it's worth a look.

We've looked at one house last week, roads were a bit rough, but I got a Jeep, she'll be getting a larger vehicle, and she even ok'd an Enduro to save on gas! There's a couple other places we want to check out, but at the very least this first one was decent. It would definitely need better weather sealing though. It's real windy and the wind howls through little gaps near the windows and the whole place wa sandy inside. We're gonna take her dad back with us cuz he's a former general contractor. Built houses for a while but got out of that and let his official contractor's license lapse.

Back