• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A new toy....

rpraterxj

NAXJA Forum User
For my wife...
This is something my wife has been wanting a Wrangler for a long time. We were toying around with the idea. We even looked at brand new ones, but $26K for a Rubicon or even $22K for a nice TJ was way out of our range right now. So while browsing on Graigslist, I come across a neat little Sahara. Called the guy up and decided to go see it. We drove up to Santa Monica on a Sunday afternoon and test drove the TJ. It was beautiful! A 2000 Sahara TJ with only 28600 miles, dual tops (never been off), clean body with minor scratches and one small dent. The engine was dirty from dust and such, but not from oil. There is a small leak in either the rear main or the pan gasket. There was a small hole in the muffler. The tires and not great, but they are coming off anyway. The Jeep has been used offroad during some camping and fishing trips, but underneath was not beat up too bad. The gas tank shield was beat up a little. We made a deal with the guy but could not get a check from the bank because it was a Sunday. So on Monday, during my lunch, I went to our bank and got the check. We then drove back up on Monday evening and bought the thing!

Here are a few pics:

PICT0002-1.jpg

PICT0001-1.jpg

PICT0003-1.jpg

PICT0006-1.jpg

PICT0005-1.jpg

We have already took care of the muffler, had a Magnaflow put on Friday. It sounds cool! All the fluids are nice and clean. I changed the spark plugs and airfilter. Now just to to pull codes and make sure the computer is OK, then check for tech bulletins.

The RE 4.5 kit is already in the garage. The 15" Soft 8's should be here on on Tuesday. I found a heck of a deal for 33" MT/R's. I have also ordered the SYE. Next is going to be rock rails and the Poison Spyder Trail Cage, then front and rear bumpers. She really likes the tube fender like Poison Spyder, so that will be done later.

BTW, I am looking for a high pinion D30 and a D44 for this thing if anyone can help me out, I greatly appreciate it. Also, I am very familiar with my XJ, but not familiar with the TJ at all, so if anyone has some ideas or knwo of some TJ "clubs", please let me know.

Thanks!

if your going to gear for 33's, then just jump to 35's and gear to a 4:56 or 4:88. with the RE 4.5" kit the hot set up is a 1" body lift, and 1" motor mount lift. and 35's.. Just my .02

I have a swap in HP30 I have about 50% out of of my XJ. It is a disco housing, with the block off plate, and pass side seal for 1 piece axle. Its also got the LCA mounts boxed in. With knuckles.... Free if you want it.

ROBERTK said:
if your going to gear for 33's, then just jump to 35's and gear to a 4:56 or 4:88. with the RE 4.5" kit the hot set up is a 1" body lift, and 1" motor mount lift. and 35's.. Just my .02

I have a swap in HP30 I have about 50% out of of my XJ. It is a disco housing, with the block off plate, and pass side seal for 1 piece axle. Its also got the LCA mounts boxed in. With knuckles.... Free if you want it.

Thanks. We thought about 35's, but we decided that for her, the 33's are a good start. Plus, if I can get a 44 for the rear, her TJ and my XJ will be built almost the same!

I may take you up on that 30. I am not an axle man, so I really don't know a tone about the disco and non-disco 30's. I understand the disco had a vaccuum actuator to engage the front axle, but that's about it. So does the block-off plate and seal turn it into a "non-disco" axle?

Thanks.

That should have a D44 now. It has the 30" tire group (perhaps added). Crawl under and take a peek or get the local dealer to run the VIN

nice! Talk to james Bush at the OC MnG since he has the same thing!

rpraterxj said:
Thanks. We thought about 35's, but we decided that for her, the 33's are a good start. Plus, if I can get a 44 for the rear, her TJ and my XJ will be built almost the same!

I may take you up on that 30. I am not an axle man, so I really don't know a tone about the disco and non-disco 30's. I understand the disco had a vaccuum actuator to engage the front axle, but that's about it. So does the block-off plate and seal turn it into a "non-disco" axle?

Thanks.

Thats cool. I would still think about the 1" motor lift and 1" body lift. Both will cost you about 200$ total and will give you more room to work with under the jeep in the frame area's, it will gain some clearance without moving the Center of gravity very much higher, it will gain you 1" of oil pan clerance, and best past, it will help with drive line angles. Oh and you get new nice motor mounts out of it also..

The axle housing have been converted with the block off plate to what you could concider a non-disco housing now. Just with a wart of metal on the pass side tube.

nonnie said:
That should have a D44 now. It has the 30" tire group (perhaps added). Crawl under and take a peek or get the local dealer to run the VIN

I was hoping so, but I have already checked it out. It is defintely a 35. So the search is on!

Back