• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MONEY PIT!!!

camarors8992

NAXJA Forum User
Work for me is slow as it is right now, and I cannot afford to keep fixing this damn thing. Every time I turn around something else is broke, and it's getting old. At this rate I could be just making payments on something brand new. Not more than three weeks ago a leaf spring broke in half, $300 later this. New manifold, new cat, new hangers, new 02 sensor, new CV boot, and something to correct the driveshaft angle. WTF it's only a 2" block, and HD quadratec springs.

IMAGE_132.jpg

WHat caused this ? INSANE!

Re: MOTHER F****** MONEY PIT!!!

When whatever went, went. It ripped the rear o2 out of the cat and tore the wires for the rear 02 from the harness itself. Then it broke the hanger at the tailpipe and at the crossmember and tore my exhaust manifold where it was alright slightly cracked.

Was there any vibes? 97+ are known for there vibes even with small lifts.

A little bit, not much though. What caused this thing to 'detonate' like it did ? How do I fix it from doing it again ?

Sweet lookin rig by the way. I do love the big tire/little lift stance. I run my 35's on 5"...

Robert

Specs on rig? Blocks can increase axle wrap by increasing the leverage on the leafs. If its bad enough (drag racing start with good traction and power, or more likely, in the dirt climbing a hill with some tire spin) it could possibly cause all that. Bust a u-joint and shaft goes nuts or break whatever it is that went.

Robert 771 said:
Sweet lookin rig by the way. I do love the big tire/little lift stance. I run my 35's on 5"...

Robert
How bout the big lift little tire look? Ya know; like 30's on a 6" lift? :D

1998 Jeep cherokee classic
98k miles
4.0 Auto 231 8.25
2" BB (Spacers, blocks)
New Quadratec HD leaf springs
31x10.50R15 on stock wheels.

BTW the rig is still drivable and feels fine. However, now I have a VERY loud exhaust and a check engine light. It looks like the boot went and went out with a bang. It happened while doing 70-75mph last night on a 400 mile trip.

It looks like the yoke is way too far from the transfer case. The boot is only there to keep the dirt of the splines, so it was a just a victim of whatever pull the drive shaft back. Did a U-joint give out? If the shaft is still in one piece, more than likely the axle shifted to th rear. Check your new springs, and see if the u-bolts came loose. Also check to see if one of the blocks broke/came out.

From what I can see in the pic, that's the best I can do for advice.

Neal

Robert 771 said:
Blocks'r bad, m'kay?

Robert
X2
Is it just the boot that came off? I would get rid of the blocks, do an AAL at least and a t-case drop if you can't afford a SYE.

SOUTHTEXASXJ said:

Yep, toldja so...

8992, I guess I should have been clearer in my "Blocks'r bad" response.

The blocks are most likely the source of your continued woes. I thought you might have learned that after they broke your leaf springs in two, last time.

This time it appears the springs (maybe because they're brand new?) bent instead breaking, but they did it for the same reason: the increased leverage introduced by those blasted lift blocks.

The springs start wrapping, the axle gets to twisting, and the driveshaft angles go all to sh!t.

The very cheapest solution might be some lift shackles to replace the blocks. Of course, at this point you might need another driveshaft, hard to tell from the pic, but it doesn't look right.

Good luck...

Robert

Edit: Yeah, what 97X said...

Last edited:
I've done pretty good so far with custom leafs, custom perches and blocks and kept great flex on 33's, I watched a buddy throw a 2" rear block at a stock leaf set and it cost him a tow and a leaf set.It's all how its built.

Robert 771 said:
Yep, toldja so...

8992, I guess I should have been clearer in my "Blocks'r bad" response.

The blocks are most likely the source of your continued woes. I thought you might have learned that after they broke your leaf springs in two, last time.

This time it appears the springs (maybe because they're brand new?) bent instead breaking, but they did it for the same reason: the increased leverage introduced by those blasted lift blocks.

The springs start wrapping, the axle gets to twisting, and the driveshaft angles go all to sh!t.

The very cheapest solution might be some lift shackles to replace the blocks. Of course, at this point you might need another driveshaft, hard to tell from the pic, but it doesn't look right.

Good luck...

Robert

Edit: Yeah, what 97X said...

I just can't take your advice seriously right now, you seem VERY biased against the blocks and seem to just throw the blame on them. Lift shackles would have mean cutting up my exhaust as it wouldn't be able to exit the rear anymore, and I do not want a dump truck like ride that I will get with AAL springs. Blocks were the best option, and I don't think they can create enough leverage to bend/break BRAND NEW springs. My old springs were shot before, bowing with a negative arch.

The picture was taken with the jeep on the Jeep off the ground, so that's as far as the drivesaft comes off the shaft.

This is my first lifted vehicle, I'm new to this. I'm just using logic and trying to fix the problem without just throwing parts at it, especially if I don't think it's the problem.

If he's right about the blocks increasing the leverage against the springs (which he is) and about the extra leverage possibly bending/breaking the leafs (which it is possible), then maybe his bias is well-founded. Some people do run blocks without problems. Many have problems on the XJ. Its caused by the soft springs that we use to support our light-weight vehicles. I've had some pretty bad axle wrap happen running stock springs without blocks. As far as worrying about the exhaust, I'm running extended shackles on my rig right now and aside from initial rattling against the shackle (solved with a hammer to the pipe) I didn't have to cut anything. I'd worry more about not blowing up my drivetrain than maybe having to cut my exhaust...:)
EDIT: P.S: Goatman runs blocks with no problems, but I think he uses a traction bar to prevent wrap. That may be a good solution if you want to keep the blocks. Even if later you ditch the blocks, the traction bar can still help in the war against axle wrap. ;)

Yea, but I don't think that's what happened under there. I think the boot let go with some force. :lol: I inspected my leafs and there are no signs of any bending or tweaking and I retorqued the ubolts.

Here are some better pictures.

What's left of the boot.
100_3285.jpg

The cat. and o2
100_3287.jpg

So right at this point in time i just want to find out why the boot came off. 2 days before this happened I got the jeep stuck, the whole underside was in the snow. Maybe there was a rock that cut the boot and at highway speeds it just ripped apart ??

of it stuck
IMAGE_121.jpg

Back