• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical issue - using winch

92XJT

NAXJA Forum User
Well trying to get some stuff done to my XJ before spring wheeling. I spooled out two wraps worth of cable on the drum to respool it and staighten out the wraps. Got it out okay and while rewrapping I got to a spot were the cable wasn't wrapping right. So pushed the out button, let go of button, and hit the in button, while winch was still rotating outwards. Right after that the jeep died, and no more juice to anything. What I am wondering is did I fry a relay or circuit somewhere, or was in just coincidence that my battery and electrical drained to null at that same time? I tried jump starting the jeep, but with my cheap jumpers I could only get a few turns out of it and then nothing. Is there anything else I could check before hand? Figured I would go buy some good jumper cables that have a little size to them - current ones are smaller then battery cables. This was on my 92 sport, 4.0 etc. Looking for suggestions / input - thanks. Also is it possible the battery is drained too much for the small jumpers to handle? The battery is only a few months old as well...

it is possible that the battery is so far drained that you need to let the jumpers charge it for a few minutes before you crank it. every once in a while, we'll drain a battery so far (with our boat usually) that the charger won't start charging it. We have to hook up another battery to it to get the charger to take. Just my thoughts.

Check all you connections too. That is what I would do first. Then a trickle charger overnight if that is feasable. If not then put the jumpers on and let the jumping vehicle run for a few minutes while you chill with a beer. Then try again. I would also think about checking the winch relays to make sure you don't have a dead short. JMHO

Back