• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spare tire up on the stock roof rack?

NWDave

NAXJA Forum User
I've had my new to me 1990 XJ for about a month now, and just noticed some previous owner had installed 2 extra roof rack cross bars, so there's 4 total. I thought this would be a great place to throw a full size spare, and get rid of the space robber spare inside the Jeep.

Will this rack support a 31" spare tire, or should I just suck it up and get a pre fabbed unit with the gutter mounts?

Thanks!

Pictures of this setup would help a lot... You still need a way to mount it/hold it down, I'd suggest getting a rack from JCR or Kevins Offroad if your only goal is mounting a tire up there.

It's just the stock XJ screwed on roof rack tracks, with 2 extra sliding cross bars/rails. My stock Laredo trim bars are chrome or stainless, and the extra 2 bars are black.

Got any links to these sites? Thanks for the low-down.

I had my 31 mounted on just two crossbars for a few months and it was quite sturdy. I used a ratchet strap to tie it down to the hooks on the end of the bars, but have since placed it back in the cabin as in the winter the straps ice up and become un usable. It will hold fine with four cross bars.

91Woody said:
I had my 31 mounted on just two crossbars for a few months and it was quite sturdy. I used a ratchet strap to tie it down to the hooks on the end of the bars, but have since placed it back in the cabin as in the winter the straps ice up and become un usable. It will hold fine with four cross bars.

X2

Ran a 31" MTR on my 2 stock roof rails for almost a year with no problem.

I had a very lightweight Thule backet and 31" spare on my factory rack for about a year, and it finally broke. The springs inside the rack bracket gave way, and the set screw fell out. It didnt fly off the Jeep or anything, but it did scratch the roof all nasty and make a hella racket. Go ahead and buy gutter mounts. You will be eventually anyway...

Back