• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 lift question

1992xjhi

NAXJA Forum User
just bought a 88 xj for 500. just wondering it has a 3" lift and i would like to fit 33" tire what would i need to do?

trim the fenders and put them on

it all depends. every jeep is different. that year is less prone to vibs than 96+, but then again, you never know. you may get away with a TC drop and shims....or you might not. with 5" of lift you have to start addressing your steering and control arms...

Here ya go...this is mecompco's XJ. 3" lift on 33x10.50's, and I'm pretty sure he's on stock BS. He does have JKS LCA's and says the tires don't rub much at all. Now, if you go to a 12.50 width, you're going to have more rubbing issues and will have to go to a smaller BS wheel. I love this combo...it looks great.

33sona3.jpg

Oh and about the vibes...I've never had to do a SYE or t-case drop on the XJ's I've had with a 3" lift.

first thing I would do is see what they replaced and installed with the 3" lift- is it full leaf packs or AAL, is the axle centered, are the LCA's stock or aftermarket and for what length. If you start tearing the front end apart to add more lift you might as well check your ball joints, tie rod ends, etc as there will be more stres on them with the larger tires.
Oh, and don't forget the all important brake lines too;) make sure they are long enough at full flex.

Back