• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Load Ranges-best for an XJ?

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've always had load range C tires on my XJs in the past. Recently, I found a great set of tires on Craigslist for a smoking deal and bought them not realizing they were load range E. They ride and handle very poorly on my XJ. So can someone give me schooling on load ranges and what's best for an XJ? I'm running 16" MOAB wheels right now and am having a hard time finding any load range C tires for it. Would D range be comparable to C, or closer than E anyway? Someone please give me insight.
Thanks,
Collin

Yep, that is the problem with 16" wheels and tires. Most of the ones on the market are for heavier trucks and ride like crap on an XJ. After a ton of research on here and a number of other boards, I ended up going with Bridgestone Dualer AT REVO's in 245/74-16. The ride great, work great in the rain and outside of sloppy mud, they work great in the dirt, rocks and sand. I have been very happy with these and they offer them in a C load rating.

D range would be my limit if you are loaded up heavy all the time. If you are typically not hauling extra weight/trailer they could ride a little hard as well. No way I would ever put an E range tire on an XJ, not if ride comfort is something you like (duh, as you found out).

Good luck.

Maybe this sounds stupid......but isnt the load range at the MAX pressure? why not just run a lower amount of air pressure, as the XJ is nowhere near as heavy as a truck......makes sense to me......i know they are made stiffer, but lower pressure shoud work?:shiver:

RustyRocker said:
Maybe this sounds stupid......but isnt the load range at the MAX pressure? why not just run a lower amount of air pressure, as the XJ is nowhere near as heavy as a truck......makes sense to me......i know they are made stiffer, but lower pressure shoud work?:shiver:

Different load ranges have different compositions, sidewall plys, etc. to allow for those high pressures.

That's why load range e tires can hold 65 psi and a c range tire doesn't.

This is all good info so far, I can tell the ride quality has declined severely since I ran C range KOs. I found that the KOs are offered in a D range in 245 75 16 which I may go with, I just still think they are going to be a little much for what I do with this XJ (DD, light haul every so often). Thanks for the tip on the Dueler Revos, I may go with those too.

90PioSport99 said:
This is all good info so far, I can tell the ride quality has declined severely since I ran C range KOs. I found that the KOs are offered in a D range in 245 75 16 which I may go with, I just still think they are going to be a little much for what I do with this XJ (DD, light haul every so often). Thanks for the tip on the Dueler Revos, I may go with those too.

I think you would be happy with the REVO's, especially if this is a DD. I have yet to read anyone unhappy with them and even the ratings on Tire Rack did not show anything lower then an 8.

Good luck with whatever you find.

Another vote for the Revo's. A bit expensive, but a great tire none the less. If I hadn't gone with the KO's, they would have been my next choice.

Looking at replacing the set of Revo's on mom's Jeep with another set probably in the fall.

I ran load range E tires on my xj and only needed about 20psi in them for a good contact patch with the pavement and they rode well. Id only need more pressure if I was loaded down for a trip and even then 30psi was about perfect

When I first got my Moab/MT-R's (load range E) it rode like crap cause they were at 50psi so I aired them down to 25psi and it helped a lot.

My new tires (265/75/16 load range E) are at 18psi and it rides the same as my buddy's XJ with 31" Revos.

As for Revo's I had a set of 30" on when it was my DD and loved them.

I just took off a set of REVO's (235/75/15) off my XJ. Loved them, but if you don't keep up on your rotations, you'll chew them up badly. I ran about 25k miles on them, got them at about 50% treadwear. They still had at least 10K more miles, but they were feathering badly on the outer edges (all 4).

All in all, a great tire. Awesome in snow, rain, and dry pavement. Good in dry/wet grass, not so good in mud (we get the slimy mud up here). Nice and quiet on the highway. They were run on my DD, roughly 100 miles daily commute.

I would buy them again, if not for the price (and the fact that I just scored a mint set of FS Wilderness A/T's under my $300 parts rig.....)

jeepman75 said:
When I first got my Moab/MT-R's (load range E) it rode like crap cause they were at 50psi so I aired them down to 25psi and it helped a lot.

My new tires (265/75/16 load range E) are at 18psi and it rides the same as my buddy's XJ with 31" Revos.

As for Revo's I had a set of 30" on when it was my DD and loved them.
Ya know, you suggested that to me when I had to MOABs (airing them down) and I did but the ride never smoothed out enough to where it was comfortable for me. I went to this all terrain load range E tire and they inflated them to like 60psi, I guess per the info in this thread I'll try taking them down to about 30psi to see what happens. If it still doesn't work out for me, looks like I'll be going to Revos. Thanks for reiterating that though jeepman75.

90PioSport99 said:
Ya know, you suggested that to me when I had to MOABs (airing them down) and I did but the ride never smoothed out enough to where it was comfortable for me. I went to this all terrain load range E tire and they inflated them to like 60psi, I guess per the info in this thread I'll try taking them down to about 30psi to see what happens. If it still doesn't work out for me, looks like I'll be going to Revos. Thanks for reiterating that though jeepman75.

Mine isnt a DD so I don't notice the ride as much when I do drive it.

You might want to look at your shocks as an option for helping ride quality.

BTW, when is the next DSM area M&G?

Back