• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ECM QUESTION?

im getting closer in finding this thing....... another question tho, the computer i have now is a
P56041-489AD i cant seem to find that exact number, i can find a P56041-489AE could i call a dealer and find out if this will work for the jeep i callled a j/y and he said the number might have been replaced. also what dealer do u recomend i calll thanks

56041489AD has probably superceeded to an AE which is probably just revised software. Used PCM's are kind of a gamble. How much is a new one at the dealer? It may be worth a little extra money.

The PCM can be reflashed at the dealership so the software matches your options and model year of Cherokee. You will have to make sure the donor PCM is the correct type for your Cherokee before you buy it.

Try www.car-part.com for an exact matching PCM that will not need to be reprogrammed. $75-100 is a much more reasonable price.

been there done that, found one locally http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

now will i have to goto the dealer with this one once i put it in, i believe AE did superceed AD so if i buy this ecm 56041489AE and mine is 56041489AD will it work and will i have to goto the dealer to get it programed?

THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS

also isnt the vin and mileage saved into the computer

called the stealership they want 884.00 for a new one.... lol

Last edited:
Milage is stored in the CCN (cluster) and in the PCM when you go to get it flashed at the dealer, the milage on your vehicle can entered manuaily with the scan tool. However VIN# are perminatly burned into the PCM it can not be changed...you will always have a "VIN mismatch code" because the used PCM has the VIN# from another vehicle.

sweet jeff thanks for clearing that up for me, also does anyone know if i can use the newer part number on my jeep my computer is the 489ad can i use the 489ae??????? i asked the guy at the dealer when i got the quote,,, he was no help

You "should" have no problem running the 56041489AE, the part # is the same the ""AE"" just represents a newer software update. Like if you updated your laptop from windows 95 to windows 98, it still works the same but it has been tweeked a little. If you run the 56041489AE with a DRBIII scantool that part# will probably go to a 489AF or AG. It probably started out as a 489AA.

Back