• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1" lift

jonnyghost

NAXJA Forum User
I've got my flame suit on :laugh3:

Just got some new tires, 235/75/15 and the sag in the rear shows a lot more now.

I'd like to lift about one inch over stock, here's what I have and what I was thinking.

I'm putting a heavy front bumper and winch on the front so the front will probably sag a bit and the rear right now sags about an inch. I usually haul some tools and stuff with me so I'd also like to stiffin up the rear a little as well.

From what I read on this site, the add-a-leafs sag quite a bit after a little while so my thoughts are for lifting are 1.5 spacers for the front and 2 or maybe 2.5 inch add-a-leafs for the rear in hopes they will bring me about 1" over stock. I'd use the main leaf from another pack if that would work better but would rather just buy some full length leafs.

I guess my question is do the add-a-leafs just sag back down to adding no lift or do they retain a little?

And do you think I should drop the TC about a 1/4 of an inch?

You would be much better off adding another stock main, or more if needed, than an AAL. This keeps all the leaves the same so no single leaf is carrying the load. That's the reason AALs sag to begin with, just too much work for a single spring.

If I were you, I'd add a cut XJ main and an MJ shackle. I did this for a friend, and it rides great (better than stock), and has held up for a couple years now.

In front you can use V8 ZJ springs, and maybe a spacer to level it out.

I seriously doubt you will need to drop the t-case any at that height. What year is it?

You can get new OEM heavy duty leaf springs from 4wd (or quadratec) for $90 a piece. That's 180 for both and $20 for 1 or 1.5" front spacers. That's just $200 for the lift, not too bad. With the new HD leaf springs, you could add one or some of your old leaves to it as an AAL and adjust height to your preference. I wouldn't worry about the transfer case drop until AFTER you lift it. You may not need to drop it...or may have to. Just an idea. I wouldn't go with just an AAL to your stock pack.

It's a 96.

Thanks for the help guys! Anyone got any main leafs they want to sell? Junk yards are only open when I'm at work around here.

Also I've noticed that some lift kits come with new u-bolts. Is this because the old ones will be to short or break comming off or can I reuse my old ones?

jonnyghost said:
It's a 96.

Thanks for the help guys! Anyone got any main leafs they want to sell? Junk yards are only open when I'm at work around here.

Also I've noticed that some lift kits come with new u-bolts. Is this because the old ones will be to short or break comming off or can I reuse my old ones?

Stock u-bolts are sometimes too short. You can re-use them but it's not recommended. I re-used my stock u-bolts when i did an AAL and it was fine but i don't recommend following my footsteps.

I am in the process of installing OME lift on my jeep. I will have my stock oem springs with rough country AAL's to sell if you are interested. They have 84k miles on them, the AAL's were on for 480 miles so far. I got 2.25" lift from this pack. It rides a bit stiffer than stock but softer when loaded with tools or stuff. You could mix and match my pack with your pack to achieve your desired lift. I could just sell you the AAL or any leaf off the main pack if you want too.

pm me if interested.

Somebody else said it, placing AAL's into a sagging leaf pack is like polishing a turd. Long term you would be better off getting new packs. As was mentioned, a lot of people go to the HD qtec packs which is what I did. Left my existing main leafs in (couldn't get the shackle bolts out anyway) and ended up with 2 inches after settling. Didn't need a tcase drop or SYE but mine is a "96. If you have a 97-01 you might be better off sticking to the 1 inch idea.

jonnyghost said:
It's a 96.

Anyone got any main leafs they want to sell?
I have a couple you can have if you want to pay the shipping. PM me.

I'd like to take a trip to Maine, lived there 5 years, but I'm not quite ready for a vacation :laugh:

Back