• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Bearing Differences???

stealth919

NAXJA Forum User
I read that in 90 or 91 they went from front hubs that had Tapered roller bearings to hubs that feature Ball bearings. Which is better for future large tires or is there a difference in strength? I have an 89 XJ thinking of swaping in a 90 XJ Front with only 90,000miles, because mine has a bad hub. Thanks for the help guys. Also are the brakes any better, stronger, than the 89 or are they just different? Thanks again.

The 90+ brake calipers have a slightly larger piston for improved braking.

The 90+ outter knuckle is also reported to be stronger as the caliper bracket is molded in vs the 2 piece pre 90 version.

In 90 the outter knuckle, hub bearings, rotor and calipers all changed and arent compatible with 89 down. Unless you swap it all on your 89 housing as one unit.

I dont know of any difference in the bearing construction, not to say there is none. Perhaps someone will chime in with that info.

Back