• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quality floor jack, locally

Maz

NAXJA Forum User
I need to get a floor jack. I don't want Harbor Freight quality, and I am sure I can't afford shop-grade quality. The only place I can think of going is Sears.

What other local stores should I check, and what do you all recommend that I get. The floor jack I get should be able to handle a Suburban's weight and have a tall enough reach for it. Can I find a good one for under $200, or am I crazy?

Thanks !!!

I picked up a 3 ton FJ from Home Depot for $45 & its an SUV rated jack. Comes with cool little extension too....

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100595886

Maz said:
I need to get a floor jack. I don't want Harbor Freight quality, and I am sure I can't afford shop-grade quality. The only place I can think of going is Sears.

What other local stores should I check, and what do you all recommend that I get. The floor jack I get should be able to handle a Suburban's weight and have a tall enough reach for it. Can I find a good one for under $200, or am I crazy?

Thanks !!!

hellbilly04 said:
I picked up a 3 ton FJ from Home Depot for $45 & its an SUV rated jack. Comes with cool little extension too....
Good idea, I'll check Home Depot and Lowe's. I never thought they might carry floor jacks. But I think I need bigger than 3 ton for the suburban. Thanks

Maz said:
hellbilly04 said:

Good idea, I'll check Home Depot and Lowe's. I never thought they might carry floor jacks. But I think I need bigger than 3 ton for the suburban. Thanks

Wow, who wrote that description on the Home Depot site? "Adjustable saddle make it lift more higher"? "For every day gargae service"?

I'm not sure why everyone bashes Harbor Freight jacks, I have two of them, a floor jack and a bottle jack, and they've never (heh) let me down. Just be safe, and always use jack stands, but that goes for any jack that you buy.

if one costco doesnt have them, try a different one. I have 2 costco's within 3-5 of me and if one location didnt have it, the other did. Fountain Valley carries em.

I ended up buying myself a Craftsman from Sears. Read great reviews about it and got it. The first 3 cranks, the handle broke at the weld. Exchanged it and the 2nd one was good and sturdy

I have the Harbor Freight one, and no offense, i have had NO PORBLEMS with it. Had it for one and a half years. Got their aluminum one.

HF and almost all of the brand names ones come from the same place.....
take a hard look at some of them,they all look the same.. just the box you buy it in is differntand maybe the color of it. I have seen the same tool at HF sell at other stores for more,same tool just differnt body colors.Yes HF is not the best, buy now days K-Sears sucks as well. You get what you pay for,just dont pay too much:)

I have 2 harbor freight ones and a westward one and all 3 have served me extreamly well for about 8 years now. try napa they have some for about $200 that are really stout

A Suburban should weigh right around 3 tons, but you won't be lifting the entire weight of the truck at any one time. But, you're right, it probably is better to err on the safe side...

Daedalus454 said:
I'm not sure why everyone bashes Harbor Freight jacks, I have two of them, a floor jack and a bottle jack, and they've never (heh) let me down.

My dad got one of the harbor freight alum ones a few years back. The first time we pulled it outta the box so i could work on my T/A, loked nice, lifted well. when it came time to lower it it wouldnt release, ended up stacking weights on the floor so the crappy stock scissor jack could get high enough to get the HF one out. oh well.

Back