• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this bad?

88manche

NAXJA Forum User
Is it bad to drive in 4wd or 4lo when you have no front driveshaft?

I would assume since theres no load on the front shaft, it would want to spin faster than the rear because of no resistance..... Am I wrong?

I think the bigger question is - why drive in 4WD if you have no front DS...kinda defeats the purpose, doncha think?

Which do you have? np231 or np242?

I agree with what JNickel101 said, unless you are curious if it is possible to have 2WD-HI / 2WD-LO option.
If I am thinking correctly, it will still work but not if you have the 242 in "full time" instead of "part time".

Last edited:
It would be the same as having a 2 low kit. Won't hurt it. Just won't have power to the front wheels.

85xj4dr said:

I would assume since theres no load on the front shaft, it would want to spin faster than the rear because of no resistance..... Am I wrong?

What would spin faster? The tires are controlled by ground speed which would be the same as the rear and, the front t/c yoke is controlled by the chain driven from the main shaft so, nothing will spin faster.

85xj4dr said:

It will hurt nothing.

Ok sweet. I have a 231.

The story behind why i asked this, is a couple of kids (tuner kids, figures....) said I couldn't spin my tires worth shit on dry pavement even if I wanted to. I wanna prove them wrong.

All that to piss on tuner kids....that's more work than it's worth in my book.
I also don't see how this would help your case any.

85xj4dr said:
You probably don't have the inline 4 cyl though.

:laugh2: :roflmao: :moon:
Now it get's good

The 4 cyl sucks balls..... It would be great if the trade off for less power was better gas milage, but i get around 14 in the city.

When this engine blows, I'm pulling a fuel injected 2.5 out of a wrangler, port & polish, bored throttle body, and some better ratio rocker arms.

Why not just put in a front ds and throw it in 4lo and just drive over top of their rice burners and see who's laughing then.

The 2.5 from the Wrangler sucks balls too, I made the mistake of driving one cross-country. Don't think it's going to make you happy, but it's your option and your $$

Dave: I would, but they can catch my jeep in thier nittle buzzy buzzy imports.

woody: Its got to have more power than the one that came in 84 - 85 xj's. Mine barely pushes 105 horses, and not much more torque.

Back