• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw5 swap out or rebuild?

redneck1939

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 89 xj with a aw5 auto tranny. reverse is going out and its getting old. should i rebuild it or replace it? are there any other auto trannys that would go in with little mods? i would like to get one thats basiclly bullet proof and sugestions? thanks

The general consensus is the aw4 does not like to be rebuilt. Find another one and swap it in. The easiest way to tell the spline count is by year. 87-91ish were 21-spline and all others are 23-spline. The aw4 is already a very robust transmission and even people with strokers keep them.

The output spline count changed sometime around 1989-1990 - if you want to be sure of getting a 23-spline (stronger shaft anyhow,) get a 1991-up. There weren't any mechanical changes I can think of in the production life of the AW4.

You'll usually have to pull apart the transmission and transfer case to verify the spline count.

Also, bear in mind that the AW4 is a Toyota box - giving you a few more options for sourcing a donor (Pickup, 4Runner, RWD Van, and maybe Land Cruiser.) I don't know what transfer case would be used with the Toyota OEM box, but you could always swap the transfer case adapter off of your slushbox and reuse your transfer case (assuming the splines match.) If the Toyota box is a 23-spline, grab either a later transfer case, or get the input set from a 1991-1995 or so transfer case (they changed the cut of the input gears sometime around 1996, and they won't mesh properly.)

Oh - and I think there actually is an AW5 - as a five-speed auto used in RWD Lexus SUV and maybe Toyota SUV as well (I won't swear to that one, tho. There's a vague tickle, but that's all I'm getting.)

It's possible to overhaul an AW4 successfully - I've done it once myself - but you'd better have some AT overhauls under your belt already. It's a fairly picky box to assemble, but it's simpler than most others I've worked on in the past. I put 50Kmiles on the transmission before I lost the pinion bearing in the rear axle...

5-90 said:
Oh - and I think there actually is an AW5 - as a five-speed auto used in RWD Lexus SUV and maybe Toyota SUV as well (I won't swear to that one, tho. There's a vague tickle, but that's all I'm getting.)
The AW5 is a five speed auto used in the Volvo S and v70 series. They use the AW4 as well but with different gearing.
Reduction ratios AW5 AW4
1st gear 4.77:1 3.61:1
2nd gear 2.10:1 2.06:1
3rd gear 1.96:1 1.37:1
4th gear 1.32:1 0.98:1
5th gear 1.02:1
Reverse 3.23:1 3.95:1

CW said:
The AW5 is a five speed auto used in the Volvo S and v70 series. They use the AW4 as well but with different gearing.
Reduction ratios AW5 AW4
1st gear 4.77:1 3.61:1
2nd gear 2.10:1 2.06:1
3rd gear 1.96:1 1.37:1
4th gear 1.32:1 0.98:1
5th gear 1.02:1
Reverse 3.23:1 3.95:1

Thank you. I'd thought there was one somewhere...

I wonder if the AW5 case uses the same bellhousing mounting pattern as the AW4, and if the transmission can be done up as a 4WD as well? Hmm - have to look into that.

Back