• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Knock/Pop Sound?

Sizzler

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, this is my first post, but my third xj which i just bought last week. It's an 88 with a 4 inch lift. Anyway, there is a really annoying popping sound that happens whenever i turn the steering wheel left or right. It doesn't matter if I'm stopped or moving. I had someone turn the wheel while I looked underneath and the sound seems to be coming from the steering box, but I could be wrong. The sound only happens on turns left and right, not when going over bumps. My first xj did it too, but it wasn't nearly as loud so I left well enough alone. This time it's driving me nuts. I searched the subject and only came up with trackbar problems, but the sound can happen at a dead stop and is coming from the steering box. Any help appreciated!

the track bar mount(uni-body side) is right behind the steering box. Check that first. have your buddy saw the steering wheel and watch it with a flashlight and see if the track bar or the mounting bracket moves.

With someone turning the wheel back and forth with engine off look at the ball joint end of the trac bar especially if your still running stock trac bar and see how much play there is. There shouldnt be any. Also check you tie rod ends for looseness again there shouldnt really be any slop there either. I found that my popping noise was the trac bar mount and steering box mount also. If yours are tight check for cracks in the frame around them to make sure there isnt any. Check control arm bushings and LCA mounts at the body. I have had to weld mine a few times because of broken welds. Hope this helps.

OOPS sorry

Sorry didnt see your post where you had it fixed. Yeah my bolts werent that loose either and I didnt think they were loose enough but it solved my problem!

Last edited:
no problem man! i should actually thank you too. i found your post about this same issue and decided to check the steering box bolts. in the morning i will check all that other stuff just to be safe!

Back