• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil on Back of Jeep

Fish'nCarz

NAXJA Forum User
I know my rear main is leaking like the Exxon Valdez, but could the oil running onto the exhaust deposit on the back window and lift gate?

If not, I must be burnin' it. Haven't pulled a plug yet, but there's a black deposit on the edge of the tail pipe openning. Is that normal?

a little carbon is a result of running a little rich. if you where burning it would be blue smoke. how long does it take to accumulate after you wash it.

Yes, a bad oil leak is enough to spray an amazing amount of oil on your rear hatch, enough to make it a bad idea to approach the rear end of your Jeep in good clothes, and to make the rear wiper pretty much useless. My 95 did this when the oil filter O-rings leaked. I've also gotten a pretty good oil film from a leaking rear pinion seal, even though it didn't lose all that much. A little goes a long way, and it all ends up on the rear hatch unless you're pulling a trailer, in which case it ends up on the trailer too.

A little black on the tailpipe is normal.

No blue smoke that I can see, but you're always the last to know, right?

It takes a week or so, or like this last weekend when I drove my son down to meet the Ex about 3 hours away. A 6 hour round trip and a couple of days of driving and I have a bunch of little, oily, drop-lets on the back window.

Sounds exactly normal - as was said above, you'll get a film of oil on the rear hatch because of a small leak. On a white Jeep it's also easy to tell if it's engine or ATF if it turns the rear hatch pink too...

I dont know if this will help but I noticed mine was leaking while I was driving and let off of the accelorator it would smoke like crazy. I looked under and oil was everywhere even on the lift gate it was the part that the oil filter screws on to. There is a seal between it and the block that went out.

Back