• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stubborn cassette deck...

BADaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i've got a '91 comanche and i was going to use one of those tape adapter things to listen to my ipod through the factory head unit. everything works great on the truck and the interior is in good shape, radio works fine but when i tried to put the tape in, it never sucked it down. it did switch off from the radio but soon after switched back to the radio. tried holding the tape down but that didn't do anything. to be honest i'm not very firmiliar at all with the older radios so i'm not sure where to start with this one.... are there any tricks to getting it to play?
Thanks!

I had an older cassette type radio and could never get it to play a tape. It was doing just as you describe. I replaced it with a JVC that plays CDs and sold my cassettes at the flea market for $1.50 each. Made enough for a dinner at the Olive Garden and had some decent tunes to listen to on my new CD playing radio. BTW it has an Ipod adapter to plug one into but I don't own an Ipod yet.

lol,if my dad was here,he would tell you what to do. but from what i can remember,normally this can not be fixed.i have 85 xj laredo, and for my ipod i bought the cig lighter adapter,works good,maybe try that instead cause honestly, the tape deck ones are nothing but a piece of shit!
dave

If you're not willing to replace the head unit in favor of one that has an .mp3 (AUX) input, you might look into an FM transmitter for your iPod. Just tune the radio to the frequency required for the transmitter. I believe they can be found at places like Radio Shack, Walgreens, etc for around $20 or so. I have no expereince with them (I plug mine into the head unit) so I can't attest to the quality.

ParadiseXJ said:
It's like an 8 track...

i THINK i remember those.
wheelchair.gif

yeah, yeah i know. it's just that this is my "budget jeep" (not that it's ever possible, but i like to think so ha ha...) and i am trying my hardest not to put so much money into it like i did with my xj... i'm aware of the fm transmitters and i've got an ipod interface on the alpine unit in my xj but i just wanted to see if i could make what i had work. looks like i'll be rockin' to the radio until i can get some more cash this summer:guitar:

Back