• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with Hubs in San Diego

BigJPXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I need to replace the bearing on one of my hubs, and was wondering if there was anyone in the San Diego area that could lend a hand, it would be especially helpful if you have done it before as i have not. I live in the beach area. 98 xj w/ 5" lift and 33s

The hub is one peice no? I can help Tomorrow should be good for me

The hub should be a one piece. Its pretty simple:

1. Remove wheel
2. Remove brake caliper
3. Remove cotter pin and 32mm nut on the axle stub
4. Remove 3 bolts from back of knuckle that holds the unit bearing
5. Remove hub from axle shaft and voila

then do reverse

I can give ya hand as well.

As everyone said, it's pretty straightforward...6 nuts and 3 bolts, she's out. Reverse the process and the new one is back in.

I've got one and a driveway you are welcome to stop by when evers. I am usally home by 4

That's all fine and dandy, but it's a 36mm socket. The only way a 32's gonna work is if you use a BFH... :) Impact for the 36mm is nice and 12 point 13mm socket to remove the 3 bolts holding the unit bearing. First get a timken from autozone or someplace, expect to pay $150ish.

what ever size it be I got it. Know I do cause I've taken mine off b4

yeah, mine fits too....size is all worn off though.

But instead of an impact wrench I just use a breaker bar, jack handle, my fat ass, and gravity. =)

markw said:
That's all fine and dandy, but it's a 36mm socket. The only way a 32's gonna work is if you use a BFH... :) Impact for the 36mm is nice and 12 point 13mm socket to remove the 3 bolts holding the unit bearing. First get a timken from autozone or someplace, expect to pay $150ish.

oh snap! It is 36mm. Brain fart! glad someone is paying attention

markw said:
That's all fine and dandy, but it's a 36mm[/B] socket. The only way a 32's gonna work is if you use a BFH... :) Impact for the 36mm is nice and 12 point 13mm socket to remove the 3 bolts holding the unit bearing. First get a timken from autozone or someplace, expect to pay $150ish.

DAMIT!!
Now you tell me.....

:D

I'm sure Ryan's used a 32 before with a little love tap. :)

that video is installing a ball joint. This thread is about changing the hub...where is that video? lol

That's about how easy it is to press a button. Hub swap is a 15 minute job. At least on mine where the splines are greased, and I've put anti-seize on the knuckles/unitbearings. :)

Back