• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"sticky" door latch

Red97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 4 dr xj. My passenger side front door lock "sticks" in the open position. It used to be that you could open from inside and it was OK, but if you opend from outside, but didn't push the button all the way in, it was ok. Then the cable or whatever it is, started getting stuck open as if your holding the door button in. Over the last year I have relubed with lithium grease to WD-40 the whole thing several times, seems that works for 3-4 days (I usually will try that before a big wheeling weekend when the wife goes). To undu the stick, I just put a screw driver in the slot in the back of the door and slide the allen bolt upward and its fixed.

It has been getting allot harder to slide bolt manually lately, so I better just fix it.

Is this something that I can take the latch mech. out of jeep, brake parts clean and put back in, or do I just need to replace it?

If I should replace it, what is that part at rear of door needing replaced called?

Thanks guys, once again, appreciate the help!

Personally I would remove the inner door cover, remove the lock, clean it with a good degreaser, lube it with CLP/Breakfree, work it a few times then grease it and reinstall it. But I think I would look and see whats actually getting stuck by eyeballing it before removal.

Pull the latch, clean and lub it and loosen the allen bolt and adjust the linkage (lengthen it) to increase the throw when you push the exterior button in. Easy fix. :clap:

Back