• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ODD temp issue....

Skwerly

NAXJA Forum User
Yes, I've spent weeks trying to figure this out - and yes, I've done extensive searching on the forums, I just can't find someone with my EXACT issue lol, so here goes:

I went to Asuza a few months ago in my ’88 XJ, and busted quite a bit of stuff. It overheated, I blew the bottle and lost my idler pulley and alternator.

THE ISSUE: I had put in a new radiator a few months prior, the thing is in top shape. I replaced the coolant bottle and cap, and t-stat after the horrible mud pit experience. Did a refill/burp process, and I was still overheating. Upon closer inspection I found the radiator was pretty caked with mud, so I took a hose with a power attachment to it, and most or all of the mud came off. This fixed my “overheating” problem, but now it runs at a consistent 210 whereas before it ran at the FIRST line (I assume that is around 160). I know they say these are designed to run at 210, but I sure do not like it.

THE ODD ISSUE: My XJ will idle all day long at a decent temp, the minute I hit the freeway it jumps to 210, and if I encounter a hill, it can shoot up to around 220 in no time. This tells me it is probably not the clutch fan, as the fan does not really make much difference at 55+ anyhow. The electric fan is working and comes on RIGHT at the 210 mark, the relay works consitently, and it appears to have no issues. My suspicion is a coolant flow problem, but how? From where?

THE QUESTION: When I pop the cap to the coolant bottle when the t-stat is open, I get sort of a steady stream of water, but it’s little more than a dribble from what I would expect. If I’m looking at the hole the coolant enters the bottle from, the fluid might land ¼ inch away from it, and I believe it should probably shoot out a bit more. Also, if I squeeze my radiator or heater hoses, I can’t really feel much going on. They are hot, but very easy to squeeze. I have not replaced the bottom radiator hose, but it does not appear to be collapsing.

I’m know a good coolant flush can’t hurt, but I was just wondering if anyone else had the same or similar issues, and what they did to finally solve it.

OH, and btw, my t-stat is drilled, system does not appear to have air in it, although with my luck anything could be happening.

Don't know wat thermo you have, but an OEM with the hole has worked reliably for me.
1/4 inch dribble from the edge of the bottle at idle is about right for my '88, and it runs like you said prior, just at the first line.

scottmcneal said:
It only jumps to 210 on freeway? I would think of the clutch fan if thats the case... Clutch fan will make it run hot at higher speeds

as will reduced airflow-- make sure that between the AC condensor and radiator there is no more mud-- may have to remove one or the other and hose them off individualy

FOLLOW UP: I believe I solved this issue yesterday. I found a short in the electric fan wiring. Move it a centimeter up or down and no voltage. I simply bypassed it so now it is ON whenever the engine is running for now, I'll probably throw a toggle switch on this week.

Now it stays where it used to, BELOW 210 lol. Thanks guys!

Back