• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OK... a KJ Ball Joint ?

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
OK, a bit of history. I'm somewhat new to the Liberty as it's my wifes daily driver.

Mine is a '96 XJ Cherokee w/a 217K miles ... still rolling.

OK, Wife took in her Libby for the 2nd recall on the Front Ball Joints. Not sure if it was upper or lower, and that 2nd recall was done about 2-3 months back. Now shortly after the 2nd recall was done, my wife started telling me about creaking and clunking noises that would come f/the Libby when going over a speed bump or hitting a big pot-hole in the road. I've been in her KJ when this happens and it almost sounds like the front end suspension needs to be lubricated or greased up. That SHOULD NOT happen after new parts are installed. My concern is that these ball joints are going to fail soon and I'm not sure if we should return to the dealership (which is a HUGE inconvenience since we both work fulltime during the day) or what else to do.

Any suggestions as to what this sound/noise could be? Suggestions to tell the dealership??

Her Libby is an '03 w/ 74K miles.

I realize this isn't a KJ forum, but I posted this on another forum and haven't heard a peep... this great NAXJA site always helps me out on my XJ and since we're all Jeep junkies I figured someone here has to have a wife, gf, cousin, or someone that drives a KJ... :)

Thanks all...

It's the lower ball joints, and it's a problem that plagues every single KJ on the street. My mom's got an 03 as well, with about 51K on it at the moment, and she's on her 2nd set. I didn't realize how bad they were until I took it in for her one day under the recall, got it back, and the steering was SO much tighter....just like the day she bought it. It never got to the point of popping or creaking, but I know failure was in the not to distant future.

I say right now, drop it off at the dealer. As I understand it, they're covered for life so long as you use dealer ball joints. These "newer" ball joints dont appear to be any different than the old ones, and don't seem to be lasting any longer. If you don't want to go through this again, and have the tools to change ball joints, get yourself some MOOGS and be done with it. Those are the greaseable kind and will last as long as a ball joint should last, with proper maintenance. The only thing with going with the MOOGS are, they won't be covered under the recall anymore, seeing as how they're not OEM.

When the set that's on ours wears out, i'm getting my hands on some MOOGS and fixing this issue once and for all.

As for it being an inconvenience, make the dealer take you or your wife to work after dropping the Jeep off, and have them pick you or her up at the end of the day when the Jeep is ready, or have them provide a loaner. Our dealership provides a shuttle to and from your job/house if you have to bring your vehicle in for work/recalls.

I have no technical advice and this is wrong forum, but since it involves her safety, I would do what ever I could to get it fixed right. I've seen 2 different libertys on the side of the road with failed front ball joints.

Hope you get this figured out, but I can't reseist it. SHOULD'VE BOUGHT A WRANGLER. Plus the MOOG part may last longer but the problem isn't the ball Joint it is the steering knuckle.

Thanks for the info all...

BTW, my wife bought this before we were married... about 5 months before to be exact so I didn't really have much say so in the deal. She really wishes she'd have kept her 'old' '00 XJ... but that's a whole other story before we were together.

As much as I like her KJ for it's street and ride manners (read comfort and quiet as apposed to my XJ) ... this kind of failure, over and over again is simply NOT acceptable on a vehicle w/ a JEEP logo, heck even if it had HUGO on the bumper it wouldn't be acceptable.

If it were up to me we'd get the KJ fixed and buy something else... like say a nicely used '01 XJ... so we'll see.

Well good luck keep a good eye on it for her safty :)

Back