• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Compressor Bad or Just Bearing

BigReady

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 xj and when i turn on the ac my compressor starts to squeek reallly loud. But when the ac is off there is no noise. Could this be a bearing in the compressor that i could replace or do i have to fork up the $230 for a compressor. I live in florida and want to have ac when it gets hot and not have my jeep sound like crap.
Thanks

Could be a loose or worn belt. Its surpising how tight it has to be. The belt is good isnt it? They make a gauge for checking the belt tension.

I had the same problem; after chaniging 3 belts. it turned out to be a bad alignmnet of the clutch pulley.This was changed; and no more squeeling noise.

In africa we need teh a/c more than teh engine.

regards
collin

ive got a simiar thing going on, my compressor, or the compressor clutch is shot. I think it is the clutch because it makes a crazy noise when the ac/heat or defrost arent even on, so its just the clutch spinning freely.

let me know what you find out about how to change the clutch assembly.

First guess is always the belt. While it is squealing, squirt a bit of water or belt dressing on the AC clutch pulley and see if the squeal changes or goes away. If not, you can troubleshoot from there. If the squeal changes, probably worn or loose belt.

im like 99% sure its a bearing in the electro clutch mechanism on the compressor.i have the same issue on my 98jeep. had a similar prob in a ford f 250 ac compressor. replaced it and prob went away for good. someone mentioned a rebuild kit for just the ac clutch where is this available?

I went through this last Fall. It started off in the morning as a squeal, then the clutch bearing on my 98XJ disentegrated. By the end of the day it was making noise, grinding and smoking even without the AC on. It was one of those post trail ride, Sunday afternoon parts runs. Finally found an Autozone, and they had the bearing for $43, the Clutch with Bearing for $225 and the complete compressor/clutch/bearing for $260.

I was going to do just the bearing, but mine got so bad so fast, I'm sure it other stuff was going on. So I just went for the compressor.

Back