• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

auto transmission shifter cable replacement??

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i asked this question yesterday but still need a bit of clairification..

I need to replace my shifter cable in a 90 jeep cherokee 4l auto. This is probably the biggest job i have ever done by myself.

Today i took off the center consule and detached the cable( there was two cables attached to the shifter, I detached the one closest to the drivers side) Im pretty sure that it..

Now my plan tommorow morning is to lift the jeep up on jackstands and remove the cable..

will i be able to see the cable? where does it attach to the transmission? do i just detach it from the transmission then pull it out?

Thanks

i told you last time you posted that if you remove the cable from the donor jeep in the junk yard first you will have a good idea how to replace it in your heep. it would be reverse of removal. do you have any manual of any type? haynes, chiltons, FSM? if not get one. this wont be the last time you need it. if you want to do repairs on this level and learn about you vehicle then that will help. this is an easy repair if you read. a haynes is only $15 at advance auto. i did my first head gasket swap with one of those. everyone say those rags aint worth the paper theyre written on but if you have no idea whats going on then its better than nothing. good luck.

Last edited:
Back