• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjustable Control Arm Shim Question

dirt machine

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to install adjustable lower control arms. I ordered them from Rusty's (by the way they have a new lower control arm which looks sweet: Uses the flex joint near the frame) but the box they were shipped in was ripped and the arms are missing :(

When I do finally get them though:

The frame-side mounts are adjustable on the XJ, by about 1/2". How do I deal with this? For the 4-4.5" of lift I have I am going to set the arms at about 16.5". However, if I have the frame mount set all the way back, should I set the arms at 17"???

Or, if I have the frame mounts set forward, should I set the arms at 16" even?

I would like to set the mounts back all the way so I can have as long a LCA as possible for a more easy ride. Currently, the passenger's side is set forward and the driver's side is set back. Not sure why really.

Thanks!

Don't screw with them. Set your arms to 16.5 inches and call it a day. The extra .5 inch that you are trying to get will make no difference.(IMHO)

Set your arms 16.5" of length from the original location. Thats because thats the original spot for good alignment. If you move back 1/2" then add 1/2". So yea you have it right.

Okay, that is two completely answers, which one should I go with?

Furthermore, should both control arms be set to the same length in all cases???

What if I set one back an extra .25 and add an extra .25 in length, but leave the other at 16.5?

Do you mean "yes" to the question of whether I should not move back the frame mounts?

I am taking it in for an alignment after this for sure because it needs it.

X2 on setting them at 16.5" and calling it a day.

Back