• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Pocket Pucker

gcurtis

Shirley Temple was a nug.
Starting the rebuild of the heep so that I can finally get it back on the trail after a year or so of it being on the very back burner. Putting in a little of this, some of that and a dash of cash.

Looking into local spring vendors, specifically Deaver. Anyone gone with a Deaver pack and had luck with them over time and hard use? I spend wayyy too much time lubing the crap out of my RE's to put them on again at a touch higher lift.

What about the Socal deal down in Santucky?

Bueller?

Gerr said:
I know a place that will build to spec they do a lot of good work for us

Gerr, where would that place be? I plan on getting springs under way in the next week, along with a couple of other details that a few know about.

I'm really trying for this to be the very last incarnation of my XJ... yeah, right. Onto build #5!

Oh yeah, IF my chick doesn't want my 33' tires (Firestone Destination MT's... which I love much more than my old MT/R's), yes she has a lifted XJ as well, then I will have tires on the market in the next month.

Details below:

Stroker (built buy a great Socal guy... he can chime in if he wants to blow his cover)
Moogi Built AW4 with custom valving and shift points
Atlas II 4 speed transfer case with a 10.34:1
35" Destination MT's
Onboard Welder
Dual batteries, one starting and one only cycling... a new trick I'm working on with stand by power batteries
Winch and front bumper (changed from the non-winch front bumper by Rocklizard fab... which was great)
Reworked rear bumper and air tank
Cage
Seats and harnesses

Everything else already on the rig.

If I get crazy... Rockjocks front and rear, but that may be build #5. This is going to be a Cracker-like spend-a-thon!

Last edited:
gcurtis said:
Oh yeah, IF my chick doesn't want my 33' tires (Firestone Destination MT's... which I love much more than my old MT/R's), yes she has a lifted XJ as well, then I will have tires on the market in the next month.

Details below:

Stroker (built buy a great Socal guy... he can chime in if he wants to blow his cover)
Moogi Built AW4 with custom valving and shift points
Atlas II 4 speed transfer case with a 10.34:1
35" Destination MT's
Onboard Welder
Dual batteries, one starting and one only cycling... a new trick I'm working on with stand by power batteries
Winch and front bumper (changed from the non-winch front bumper by Rocklizard fab... which was great)
Reworked rear bumper and air tank
Cage
Seats and harnesses

Everything else already on the rig.

If I get crazy... Rockjocks front and rear, but that may be build #5. This is going to be a Cracker-like spend-a-thon!

Nice Grant! LMK about those 33's. They are for 16" rims right?

Got to get together soon.

That's quite a list Grant. Should be sweet!

gcurtis said:
We have to surf fly fish, brah. I here Stephan is doing it as well....
I used to do that 3 or 4 times a week a few years back. Sometimes mornings and evenings. What a drug...........

Kejtar said:
Lemme know where you're planning to park that puppy after you're done building it :D

What are you going to do, splatter it with Herculiner? Paint a super chicken on the hood? LOL....

I would vote for DPG springs. He is a sponsor on here, plus I have been running them for several trail rides now and they handle very nice on and off road. Not too bad on the price either.

JohnX said:
I would vote for DPG springs. He is a sponsor on here, plus I have been running them for several trail rides now and they handle very nice on and off road. Not too bad on the price either.

I have ran RE for years and put on DPG over the summer. Did not notice a big difference. DPG is a little softer ride. Both fle really well.

There are some folks running National, but they are pricey. I know a couple of folks running Deaver and they seem to like them.

There is also Big Daddy Offroad, but I don't know anyone local running them

Good luck!

rpraterxj said:
I have ran RE for years and put on DPG over the summer. Did not notice a big difference. DPG is a little softer ride. Both fle really well.

There are some folks running National, but they are pricey. I know a couple of folks running Deaver and they seem to like them.

There is also Big Daddy Offroad, but I don't know anyone local running them

Good luck!

I have a hook up at Deaver and have known them for years, so I may try that over the tried and true Nationals.

Robert, my chick has first dibs on tires, you are second.

I may beadlock the wheels with the 35's or 37's as well. I like that stock Jeep look.

gcurtis said:
We have to surf fly fish, brah. I here Stephan is doing it as well....
Tried doing it this weekend but it was damn windy along the central coast.

Glad to see you back in the game.:cheers:

karstic said:
Tried doing it this weekend but it was damn windy along the central coast.

Glad to see you back in the game.:cheers:

Thanks, brah. Finally got work down to reasonable hours and am back on having a life. What part of Central Coast? I was going to head up to San Simeon in a couple of weeks to get it wet, but I've heard about the MLPS closures and got spooked.

Jump This said:
Bah...HUMBUG!!

Now that you know where I live, bring it on by and lets see what a plasma cutter and a few angle grinders can do for you!

:D

The only thing lacking at my shop is the plasma, but I'm going to rearrange a few more body panels on the rig before I start "re-engineering" it. THEN we can add a few more "windows" to the rig. ;)

gcurtis said:
Thanks, brah. Finally got work down to reasonable hours and am back on having a life. What part of Central Coast? I was going to head up to San Simeon in a couple of weeks to get it wet, but I've heard about the MLPS closures and got spooked.

We camped at San Simeon SP. I found out about the closure Friday night when we had a little discussion with a State Park Ranger.

Go to http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/ccmpas_list.asp

They have each area listed with coordinates. The DFG site also has pdf and jpeg versions of the maps. The area north of the town of San Simeon is open we went to the beach by the fishing pier on Saturday afternoo. We were there at low tide and there were a few nice troughs exposed that would have been good at high tide.

cambria_image.jpg

Back