• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 leak

oldjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I've got an AW4 from a cherokee in my YJ behind a 2.5L. Last time I had it offroad it started leaking from the inside of the bellhousing, a pretty significant amount of fluid. I went through almost a gallon in the 90 mile trip home.

I pulled it out and replaced the TC seal, which looked fine. Put it back together and ran it a little (been -15 here so I didn't drive it) It's been about a week, and I started it up and let it run a bit after changing the fuel filter, and now there is more fluid running out of the bellhousing.

Can anyone think of something besides the TC seal that would cause a leak inside the bellhousing?

Are you sure its tranny fluid? Could be a number of diff things.

mcnamaag said:
Are you sure its tranny fluid? Could be a number of diff things.

LOL, and what else would it be? I'm not using pink engine oil, so tranny fluid is about the only other option.

oldjeep said:
LOL, and what else would it be? I'm not using pink engine oil, so tranny fluid is about the only other option.

You didnt say what color it was it your first post. Good Luck.

mcnamaag said:
You didnt say what color it was it your first post. Good Luck.

Well, you got me there. Next time I'll specify what color the gallon of transmission fluid is.

You are aware that the rear main seal leaks INSIDE the bell housing also right?

mcnamaag said:
You are aware that the rear main seal leaks INSIDE the bell housing also right?

Yes, but since I went through a gallon of ATF, one could assume that the leak was ATF. This has been extremly helpfull.

oldjeep said:
Yes, but since I went through a gallon of ATF, one could assume that the leak was ATF. This has been extremly helpfull.

When you say TC seal what are you refering to. I assume you mean the Transfer Case seal. If you are refering to the Convverter seal ( front pump shaft seal). Then it must be either your Pump itself is leaking or the case is cracked. I would go with the pump being the issue. I have seen the pump seal ( rubber o-ring and 2 hard plastic "scrapers") go out from heat. Either way you need to remove the dust shield, clean the area and look with a flashlight with the engine running. It should be more obvious in gear.

I also noticed you were asking in an earlier thread about tranny lines. Did you find any? I know you wanted factory connectors they couldnt be leaking could they?

mcnamaag said:
I also noticed you were asking in an earlier thread about tranny lines. Did you find any? I know you wanted factory connectors they couldnt be leaking could they?

TC Seal - torque convertor seal.

The other thread was about my kids comanche which has factory lines and connectors, I bought new ones from the dealer. My YJ has all soft lines with AN fittings on the tranny, no leaks in any of the lines. The fluid is definitely running out of the bellhousing.

The o-ring around the pump is a possibility, I've never pulled the pump out of this tranny. Plan for tonight is to put the starter back on and run it without the convertor cover to see what I can see. I'm also going to dump in a quart of Bars stop leak on the off chance that it's enough to kill off an o-ring leak. I've got an offroad event on Sat, so I'm not real jazzed about the idea of spending 3 hours pulling and reinstalling the tranny again.

Something is bent. The flexplate has a wobble to it. I ripped the center out of the last one, I'm wondering if this one has cracked too. Looks like a complete teardown is in my future

Back