• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exploder shaft in an XJ?

tayman

NAXJA Forum User
so I'm looking at doing an 8.8 swap, and I've been reading a lot of threads about what I'll need to do. I know everything about spring perches, shock mounts, yada, yada... but what I don't know is what I'll have to use for a driveshaft. Do I NEED a SYE? do I need an adapter for the 8.8's flange to a u-joint? how EXACTLY does it mount up? Can I ude the shaft off of the exploder I pull the 8.8 out of? :dunno:

You will need the flange adapter. I know Tom Woods carries it, you may be able to get one at a local driveshaft shop.

I did a SYE at the same time I did the 8.8, so I don't know what you will need to do with the driveshaft.

well, I broke my CV-joint on my stock driveshaft..... too much mud, and loose bolts (they were tight when I tightened them!) anyhoo... I now either need a new shaft or U-joint... yes, this is off topic, but maybe it's a good excuse to do my upgrades!

Last edited:
You don't need to get a new drive shaft if you dont want to. The adapter just bolts up to the 8.8 drive flange, and the stock U joint on the end of the drive shaft fits in the adapter. Pretty simple, you just need to find 1. I know MORE offroad sells them. GOOD LUCK!

I'm using a stock shaft with my 8.8, SYE is coming soon though.

I've found the u-joint adapter for the 8.8, but now that I broke my CV
-joint on my stock shaft, it's a pretty good excuse to do an SYE now.

Back