• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 XJ Engine in 88 Comanche

fiatspider

NAXJA Forum User
I've found a low mileage 01 XJ engine, problem is it does not come with the wiring harness and I'm going to have a hard time finding a new enough wiring harness to work with that fuel injection system and the distributorless ignition. Can I just pull a harness, ecu, flywheel, and distributor off of an OBD1 or OBDII XJ and use that on the 01 engine along with either my current manual or maybe I'll pull a lower mileage AX-15 when i get the harness and everything else.

Any recommendations on whether I go OBD1 or OBDII for the ecu and harness? thanks,

-Scott Flanagan

fiatspider said:
I've found a low mileage 01 XJ engine, problem is it does not come with the wiring harness and I'm going to have a hard time finding a new enough wiring harness to work with that fuel injection system and the distributorless ignition. Can I just pull a harness, ecu, flywheel, and distributor off of an OBD1 or OBDII XJ and use that on the 01 engine along with either my current manual or maybe I'll pull a lower mileage AX-15 when i get the harness and everything else.

Any recommendations on whether I go OBD1 or OBDII for the ecu and harness? thanks,

-Scott Flanagan

I just put an 04 wrangler motor in my wife's 96, used the 96 belt system, wiring harness and ignition system. So yes you can replace the wiring harness with one from an earlier year. you will also need the distributor, computer, ignition module, etc. The front of the motor around the timing belt cover and the motor mounts have different boss design and need to be modified to work. Its a ton of work.

Look on ebay, you can get a complete wiring harness, i have seen quite a few of those.

I wouldnt do it just because of the 0331 head on the '00 and '01 tends to crack easily, or the head could already be cracked on the '01 engine your getting just how low is this low miledge engine? And the exhaust ports are prolly 2/3 to about 1/2 the size of the earlier castings

Back