• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'94 2dr power window problem

orangegilly

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I've searched around on here the last few days, and haven't found anything that accurately describes the issue I'm having.

Here's my problem: My windows work intermittantly when it's cold (as it has been for the last week or two. Couple weeks ago, they did not work at all, neither driver's or passenger side. The next day, they opened after work (both of them), but by the time I drove home, they did not work again (20 minute ride). I've pretty much given up on them working reliably, as it's been too cold for them to get stuck in the down position. I just went outside, and both seem to be working. When they don't work, I get nothing at all....no noise, no click, no dimming lights or any other signal that it's trying to work. When they work, the windows are at normal speed (little slow, but same as they've been for 2+ years of ownership).

I checked the fuses, and all seems good there. Power door locks work fine, including the hatch, so I don't think it's a voltage issue. It's all or nothing, either both work, or they don't --- meaning it's not the standard window lock-out issue that I've read so much about.

For the record, it's a stock 1994 Sport with the 4.0L, 4wd, and auto tranny.

Haven't had decent enough temps to do much other than check the fuses, but being intermittant like it is, I doubt it's a fuse anyway.

Any suggestions on where to start or likely fixes? Seems like a power-source issue or something, but I don't know where I should look. Thanks in advance.

orangegilly said:
Ok, I've searched around on here the last few days, and haven't found anything that accurately describes the issue I'm having.

Here's my problem: My windows work intermittantly when it's cold (as it has been for the last week or two. Couple weeks ago, they did not work at all, neither driver's or passenger side. The next day, they opened after work (both of them), but by the time I drove home, they did not work again (20 minute ride). I've pretty much given up on them working reliably, as it's been too cold for them to get stuck in the down position. I just went outside, and both seem to be working. When they don't work, I get nothing at all....no noise, no click, no dimming lights or any other signal that it's trying to work. When they work, the windows are at normal speed (little slow, but same as they've been for 2+ years of ownership).

I checked the fuses, and all seems good there. Power door locks work fine, including the hatch, so I don't think it's a voltage issue. It's all or nothing, either both work, or they don't --- meaning it's not the standard window lock-out issue that I've read so much about.

For the record, it's a stock 1994 Sport with the 4.0L, 4wd, and auto tranny.

Haven't had decent enough temps to do much other than check the fuses, but being intermittant like it is, I doubt it's a fuse anyway.

Any suggestions on where to start or likely fixes? Seems like a power-source issue or something, but I don't know where I should look. Thanks in advance.

Why did you post this twice? Sounds like you have a ground issue. When it warms up you might check the wires going through the door( Rubber Boot).

mcnamaag said:
Why did you post this twice?

Couldn't tell ya. I saw that, and tried to delete it, but unlike other forums I've been on, you can't delete your own threads here.

Thanks for the tip, though. I was thinking a grounding / power issue....is that the most likely place for trouble?

Its pretty common. There is a very good write up about this. Search "Power Door locks". In that thread it covers everything from door locks to windows.

Back