• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 performance rebuild questions

renomn1

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 xj sport with an AW4 trans. it rarely shifts into 4th and i think i need a rebuild but i can't find any kits for it and would prefer a high performance kit rather than OEM considering the 4.7l stroker that it has.i read another thread with another 98 xj that was having the same problem and also his reverse lights werent working, mine rarely work too.they never came up with a solution for the guy except they might think its the neutral safty switch(NSS). I know my NSS is also bad, but I don't believe that is causing the problem. is it electrical or is my trans junk? if so who makes a high performance rebuild kit and torque converter or OEM kit?

are you getting a check engine light? have you tried just cleaning your NSS? describe rarely shifts into 4th. does it not shift for a long time and then eventually go or sometimes does it just not work and other times works fine?

What size tires are you running? Mine rarely went into overdrive with 31'a and 3:55s

I am getting a check engine light, the code is 137/P0700 advance auto parts checked it.Then auto zone checked it, there was two codes P0740 and P0700. It's been below freezing so it never goes into 4th, but sometimes when its above frezzing it'll go into 4th but not usually, and then when it warms up and I have been driving for a while it won't go into 4th. Havn't tried cleaning the NSS. 33x10.5x15 with 409 gears. When ehall says TPS is he talking about the throttle position sensor?

TPS has a huge effect on the transmission. It's electronic, you know, so all the inputs and outputs (sensors, solenoids etc) have to be working right.

renomn1 said:
I am getting a check engine light, the code is 137/P0700 advance auto parts checked it.Then auto zone checked it, there was two codes P0740 and P0700.
Okay that makes a difference

P0700 - Transmission Control System Malfunction [generic]
P0740 - Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction [explicit]
P0740 - Torque Converter Clutch, No RPM Drop At Lockup [some Jeep models]

powertrain codes

May have a bad clutch, may have low fluid, could be some other problem. I'd take it to a tranny shop and have them look at it.

Last edited:
I can't afford that and usually they rip people off. I'm some what mechanicly inclined and can do some things, but i'm new to transmissions. I had 36inch swampers on it but it was killing my front end, my trans, and my gas mileage so i went back to 33s. BFG mud terrains. Plus towing my ATV with trailer is a 1000lbs and the 36s were too big.But it didn't lack power with the 4.7 stroker.

and flush the trans fluid and MAKE SURE IT IS AT THE RIGHT LEVEL.

checked fluid it's at the o.k. mark,got new TPS and it didn't shift but the check engine light was still on. went to auto zone had them check it and shut the light off(erase codes), drove 10 miles highway and city, still no 4th but the light did NOT come back on. so I took the new TPS out, put the old one back in and 1 minute after starting it and driving the check engine light came back on.

A code must trigger three times before the dash light indicator will light up.

Back