• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some California Laws Suck

RyanRexALot

NAXJA Forum User
I have researched this site among others and have asked knowlagable friends to no avail.
My cat. has gone bad on my 98 4.0 so I went into a NAPA store to order a new one. The clerk told me that NAPA can't order a cat. becuase +96 and up have OBD II. And that if I instal an after market cat. other than form Crystler, my jeep won't pass smog.

I know it has OBD II but why can't I order a Cat. from a mail order place, instal it and pass smog here in California (so long as it has a O2 bung)?
Thank you in advance!!!

I have no idea if you'll pass or not since I live in SC and dont have to deal with Smog crap but it seems like they wouldn't care if it was an after market...

The problem you'll eventually run into is that the ARB staffers and smog testers don't know their own rules half the time, nevermind the counter jockeys at NAPA.

Basically you need a cat that has been certified by the California Air Resource Board (ARB). These are usually marketed as "50-state legal" cats. Technically a cat is only supposed to be certified for a specific engine on a specific model (ie, a cat that was certified on a 4.0 XJ would not automatically be certified for a 4.0 TJ). But if you have the ARB seal of approval on it that may be enough.

Best thing is to get an OEM cat. If you really don't want to do that, then get one from summit racing or somewhere that is 50 state legal with ARB certification and take your chances on the smog jockey.

As long as the part is CARB certified, you won't have a problem. The CAT I got for my 98' came with a piece of paper that went in your glove box with the CARB and EPA certification numbers on it.

On my old 96, I had a shop install a Carsound cat and they welded in the O2 sensor bung. And it passed smog twice.

Most smog guys will take a peek underneath and if they see an O2 sensor in the cat, it'll pass the visual.

Go to a smog test only shop, they will tell you the truth... I got mine from napa.. It is a lagal cat for calif... What part of cal are you in?

RyanRexALot said:
Maybe not in Indiana but here in the gold state it is not uncommon.

I know California is crazy with their smog.

but I'd say, go wheeling before you go to smog. If they are going to get down and check, hopefully some mud will drip into their eyes.

Blaine B. said:
You mean sometimes they actually go under there and check the lettering on the cat?
They stick a mirror under the car and if it doesn't look like a fat OEM cat they may double check for whatever reason they have. It's entirely up to the tester and you are just along for the ride.

Back