• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weird sound after lift install

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
i put a rc 3" lift and 31" bfg a/t's on my 88'xj about a month ago. i noticed a very minor vibration/noise so i replace the two rear driveshaft u-joints. now i have noticed a couple times where i will be accelerating in first and turning and there will be a banging noise from under the jeep. almost sounds/feels like there is a very short rope tied to the rear driveshaft and it is going around and round hitting the bottom of the jeep. it has only happened a couple times and i can't make it happen on purpose. i don't know if it related to me changin the u-joints, but i doubt it. any ideas??

Mine made that noise when I had 3 inchs on mine. Then I installed a new drive shaft and it was gone.

Are your leaf springs in good shape? Did you use blocks or an AAL to lift the rear?

hmm... Maybe its coming from a different place but seems like the only thing that would make that noise under acceleration would be u-joints or pinion crashing the yoke.

i checked the temp of the front axle ujoints after driving and the passenger side one was way hotter than the driver side, also the wheel bearing was pretty hot too. but this noise didn't sound like it was coming from that area, it sounded like it was directly under me. and also it was really loud. like someone banging the bottom of the jeep with their fist. i would assume that u-joints wouldn't make that much of a noise??

Oh yeah they would! U- joints can get loud! Mine where loud as crap but only when I stomped on it!

Have you checked all of the U-joints by hand? front and rear...

well, i never checked them for play but i used a temp gun and notice that one side was way hotter than the other. but it only happed twice in like a month. wouldn't u-joints make noise more often and consistently if they were bad enought to make that loud of a noise?

I can't really say... Mine didn't do it all the time. Probably once a week or so if I stomped on the pedal hard. I'm not sure what else to tell you. All I know is most of acceleration clunks that I have ever heard where U-joints. or bad pinion angles... I'm not sure what turning would have to do with it tho unless your front U-joints are shot.

If it were your front u-joint then I could understand why on it only does it once in a while. Since its the front the u joint spins all the time and it only clunks when turning in a certain spot... maybe you only hit that certain bump while turning every once in a while to make it clunk.

Just replace everything! I'm sure it'll go away!

Back