• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Using Oil, Any Suggestions?

tkjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Yes my '93 xj, basically stock, K&N panel filter, 4.0 L Auto, 264,000 Kilometres on it, is using oil. This became painfully obvious when I had to get it to pass an emissions test and it wouldn't, without some vacuum work. I use about 1 Litre a month max. I have recently switched to Quaker State 5W30 full synthetic. I will be keeping this baby for a long time so what am I in for, I've tried Lucas a few times but still using oil, any products you guys suggest or am I in for a rebuild? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

if ur using oil I do believe synthetic will go through it faster, there is an oil for high milage engines, and have u looked at using "restore", they sell it at most auto stores.

how much is using and how much is leaking?
do you have blowby into the air filter?
have you cheked the compression?
I think you need to assess the overall health of your motor and find out how the oil is getting into the chamber, whether it's vavle guides or past this rings.

The plain truth is...if it's worn out it needs attention...if you look carefully at the products like Restore and Lucas...they don't claim to "fix" a worn engine..they claim to "reduce" the oil consumption problem...and they do...but in this modern smog testing age....an engine that fails the test would have "normal" oil consumption rates 20 years ago. Daimler/chrysler's policy on in warranty engine oil consumption rates is 1 qt per 1k miles is normal for engines under 60k miles, and 1 qt per 750 miles is normal for engines over 60k miles...an engine in good condition with no leaks should use less that a qt between changes.

Bottom line...have a leakdown test done...if it passes, throw in a new set of valve guide seals...if that don't fix it...the ole motor is due for some rehab.

MudDawg said:
The plain truth is...if it's worn out it needs attention...if you look carefully at the products like Restore and Lucas...they don't claim to "fix" a worn engine..they claim to "reduce" the oil consumption problem...and they do...but in this modern smog testing age....an engine that fails the test would have "normal" oil consumption rates 20 years ago. Daimler/chrysler's policy on in warranty engine oil consumption rates is 1 qt per 1k miles is normal for engines under 60k miles, and 1 qt per 750 miles is normal for engines over 60k miles...an engine in good condition with no leaks should use less that a qt between changes.

Bottom line...have a leakdown test done...if it passes, throw in a new set of valve guide seals...if that don't fix it...the ole motor is due for some rehab.

u know using that much oil seems high, I know older engines use oil, but my 89 XJ has over 200000 miles on it(dont know if been rebuilt) and uses almost now oil bethween oil changes(u can barley tell it uses).

I agree with ya Jeepdude...the engines in my Heep and my MJ #1 use no oil at all between changes...the huge reduction in upper cylinder and ring wear rates in fuel injected engines compared to carburated engines from the past makes a big difference in how many miles an engine can go before oil consumption becomes a problem.

I was :moon: DC for such a rediculously high "normal" consumption rate.

i reassembled my stock oem cooling system, dropped in a new therm, hoses and flushed the radiator then topped it off with the right ratio of coolant and water and it dropped my motor temp down to 195 on the dot even in traffic, spot on, no if, ands or fu*ks. after doing that i realized that my xj stopped consuming oil altogether pretty much. but when it was running in the 210 - 215 zone it was using appx a liter a month. what temps you running at?

sure my xj gets hotter than 195 but when i am idling while wheeling. i rev it up a bit and it goes away fast. everything else i do keeps it at 195.

My 91 with 300k uses about a quart tween changes dunno how that equates to a liter though? They are known to leak especially the rear main so unless your spewing out the back and it's all over your rear window, maybe just keep an eye on it and a few quarts in the back for long trips? Also I used to run a thicker oil like say a 20w50 and it leaked less I guess. Just a thought.

yeah I am not leaking any anywhere, and I just put a new rad in this summer so my temps are great, just installed a tranny cooler also, I'm just going to keep a close eye on it for the next while to get a better idea. For only 160000 miles it shouldnt be using at all. Nobody thinks 5w30 is too thin for the summer? Next litre I put in will be 20w50 maybe for a top up.

Back