• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ "losing" oil still

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
2002 WJ v8 auto 4x4 190K miles

It looses or burns an awful lot of oil and I can not seem to track down where its going. I've fixed all the actual leaks(valve covers were leaking badly) and have run dye through many times and see no signs of an actual leak now.

I don't see signs of spark plugs being fouled at all, they looked perfect the last time I checked them. No signs of oil getting to the o2 sensors that I could tell. I have seen smoke from the exhaust on a few occasions but not often. Actually, the only times I've seen smoke have been idling after grocery shopping on the way home when just leaving the parking lot. I've followed looking for smoke from the exhaust while driving around and didn't see any. I had good and steady compression across all cylinders.

Something I just recently noticed. The crank case vent system(system of tubes and 2 filters between the valve covers) had a few cracked elbows. I looked closer and see obvious signs of oil splattering on the firewall but not a ton or anything went and built up. I pulled the vent tubes and replaced them (from the dealer only 26 bucks, not bad actually). While taking the old one off I noticed the old one was different than the new one. The passenger side filter was not in the same location and it was backwards. I'm not sure if that would be enough to cause pressure to build up and cause my oil consumption or not? I replaced the PCV valve on the oil filler neck a while ago(broke while working on something else).

The PO had the oil change records going back to the day he bought it(original owner) and they were all done at quick lube type of places. My theory so far is that maybe the years of cheap oil build up a ton of sludge and when I got it and started using better oil it maybe dislodged the sludge clogging the PCV system combined with the backwards filter causing blowby and/or to puke out of the PCV system behind the motor. With the wind it may be blowing the oil away fast enough that its not showing on the firewall or I am just not seeing it way up in the tranny tunnel. Something else I've noticed is the oil fill cap is always a bear to remove. It is a cam style cap so you can't really over tighten it but every time I go to remove it the thing feels welded on. Could that be a sign of pressure building up and causing the cap to become tight?

I've used castrol high mileage non-syn 5w30 since I've had it. Just recently switched to rotella t6 5w40 at the recommendation of a friend with no sign of improvement so far, actually have lost 2 qts at about half my oil change interval so its pretty much the same as the castrol.

Any thoughts? I forget at this point just how much oil but its a Lot, maybe 4-5 qts between oil changes. Not sure why I even bother with oil changes with the steady flow of fresh oil I should just be changing the filter at this point.

With the cost of oil I can't just keep pouring it down the drain like this forever. It runs great with no real issues other than sucking down the oil.

Lemme see if I am getting the facts straight...
190K on it, consumes 4-5 qts per oil change interval
Spark plugs & o2 sensors look fine
Smokes when idling sometimes but you haven't seen it while driving
Compression is good
CCV elbows were cracked & leaking oil + new filter was backwards (?)
PCV valve is new

One way to test a crankcase vent system is to loosen the oil cap but let it sit in place on the filler. Start the engine and (if it's got a throttle body you can grab while under hood) rev it a little. The cap should suck down onto the filler if all is well - you want it to be sucking fumes from the crank case, after all. If the cap starts hovering / floating / pushing away from the filler, you are generating positive pressure. Either it's a heck of a lot of blow by gases or the crankcase vent system isn't working right.

A less redneck and more reliable way to do the same test is to use a manometer, a specialized pressure tester with a tapered rubber snout you stick into the oil dipstick tube. Auto parts store might have one.

If the CCV system is working well I'd be inclined to guess valve stem seals were going but that'd just be a guess. I mean, it's really just valve stem seals, piston rings, CCV blocked (causing some other seal to leak) or "external"

The original filter was backwards. I replaced the whole tube assemble so now it should be correct. I haven't put any miles on it since replacing the vent tube assemble though. I wasn't sure if that would have caused enough of an issue to account for so much oil lose though but maybe, fingers crossed.

I'll try testing the oil cap and see what I get with that.

I tried idling with the cap lose as you described and I didn't really feel it trying to go either way. I rev'd it and nothing really changed, the cap wasn't being sucked down or hovering that I could tell at all. That was with a cold start, I am going to try again after its warm maybe and see if I can tell anything.

IIRC, when I had a dakota and, frequented a couple dakota forums that oil consumption was common and CCV was an issue and also leaky intake mani gaskets. Look inside your intake with a flash light to see if there is any oil in there.

I actually had the intake box off today and did notice fresh oil in the intake hose/box. The filter was dry and no sign of oil getting to it. I was thinking that the vent system routes back to the air intake box and thats how it got there.

I looked past the throttle body and saw no signs of oil there but the way its setup its hard to seee, I will get a closer look for sure. the throttle body butterfly had no oil build up on it and was pretty clean.

I got around to tearing into the intake resonator today to replace the gaskets(bit of a Pain). No sign of leaks around any of them and no sign of oil leaking / puddling between the heads or down the back of the engine(confirming no external leaks).

I do see a Ton of oil down inside of the intake ports. I even see oil pooling on top of one of the closed valves. I am no expert and this type of oil lose is new to me so I'm trying to understand what is happening.

If oil is leaking past the valve seals why is it going "upstream" back out of the intake? The intake resonator was pretty dry inside from what I could see as was the throttle body. The intake ports on the heads however are just coated with oil as are the valves that I can see. Is the oil just being splashed back only so far or is that a sign of something spcific going on?

Based on :gee:all the info sofar is it looking more like the valve stem seals then? Figures it would be the worst case scenerio. :gee:

When the valve seals leak oil goes from under the valve cover, past the valve stem & into the combustion chamber where it is burnt. The oil isn't going from crankcase past the piston rings & back up into the intake. If that were happening, you'd know because the motor would be totally ****ed.

Back