• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ATFD??

xthejuicex

NAXJA Forum User
Hello. Yesterday I went to Valvoline to get my transmission oil changed. I told the guy to use Dexron III since most people recomend it for the auto tranny. After it was done I looked at the sheet and the fluid that they used was ATFD. I called the guy back up and he told me that it was ok. Is this fluid ok or should I have them replace it or something?

I personally wouldn't run anything but Dex III

x2

ATFD to me would mean Auto Trans Fluid DEXRON... considering Dexron is still ATF, its probably just their way of naming it for paperwork.

xthejuicex said:
Hello. Yesterday I went to Valvoline to get my transmission oil changed. I told the guy to use Dexron III since most people recomend it for the auto tranny. After it was done I looked at the sheet and the fluid that they used was ATFD. I called the guy back up and he told me that it was ok. Is this fluid ok or should I have them replace it or something?

I would bet hard money you got a dexron ??? compatible or dexron recent (newest grade) grade of ATF, but I seriously doub't if it was just Dexron #III which is what you asked for. If I want a specific grade of older stuff only like Dexron III I always buy it first, and then make them let me watch them install my stuff.

I learned the hard way over the last 35 years not to trust transmission repair shops and transmission fluid change places as far as I can spit, and I can't spit worth a damn!:eek:

The problem now is you have no way of proving (Unless they admit to an error, fat chance of that right!) what they installed in there. Most of those fluid change shops use a universal tranny fluid that they buy in bulk, one size fits all stuff that they use as much as possible to reduce costs.

Ten High said:
atfd is standard quickie lube jargon for atf-dexron. you should be fine.

I do not agree. Dexron II D is mineral. There is also a Dexron II E which is full synthetic. Dexron II and III are mostly similar (Ford Mercon). I do use in my 92 always Dexron IID, mayby in a newer one you go for the dexron III.
Greetings:yelclap:

double check. I know a lot of valvoline shops use maxlife atf because it is compatible with more vehicles so they dont have to order more than one kind. maxlife atf has synthetic additves which are not good for the aw4 (something about brass in the trans?)

Back