• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sye and d/s length

MasterShakeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i recently installed a 3.5" RE sf on my '01 XJ and ordered my sye. i need to measure the stock shaft and tell the vendor the measurement so he can send me the new d/s. is that all i have to do? how does he know what length d/s to send me?

He (or the co you bought the SYE from) should be able to tell you exactly where to measure to compensate for the SYE. Normally I believe it is from a specific point on the tail shaft to the center of the u joint on the yoke. You don't want to measure your old drive shaft at all.

GettinMuddy said:
i recently installed a 3.5" RE sf on my '01 XJ and ordered my sye. i need to measure the stock shaft and tell the vendor the measurement so he can send me the new d/s. is that all i have to do? how does he know what length d/s to send me?
You do know you can run a stock front D/S in the back with an SYE right?

DrSockMonkey said:
You do know you can run a stock front D/S in the back with an SYE right?

This is only true with certain axle and lift setups, and is never really a good idea. The stock front driveshaft isn't really beefy enough to serve as a rear shaft in the long term capacity.

Clearly a Tom woods or other CV D/S would be best. This is the first I have heard that the Front D/S conversion should only be used temporarily.

cal said:
This is only true with certain axle and lift setups, and is never really a good idea. The stock front driveshaft isn't really beefy enough to serve as a rear shaft in the long term capacity.

Put a front shaft near any manufactured rear shaft. Its like comparing a dana 35 to a dana 60.

I've worn throuhg 3 front shafts in the last 3 years .. on the front. In the rear they would be toast.

the kit i bought is the AA sye and a tom woods shaft. i know where to measure the stock shaft. and i know i have to measure it b/c i was told by the owner of the company that i could. i want to pre measure it so i dont have to leave it sitting in a garage for like 3 days waiting to get the new d/s. it was a simple question i think. and no im not putting my front ds in the rear.

Back