• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing AC

Starboard M

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I am doing an engine swap on my 89 4.0 and as my AC does not work, I am trying to figure out how to take my AC out.

I know which parts I need to remove, but Im worried about letting Freon(sp) out of the system. Are there easy ways of doing this, or do I simply drain the system into a container?

For those that have removed the AC, what did you do? I would take it to a shop and have them remove the fluid, but the Jeep no longer has a drivetrain.

I just cut the hoses when i swapped the engine in my 94, chances are if it doesnt work theres no freon in it. You can remove everything but the compressor unless you go to a different belt.

does it even have any preasure left in the system?..........oh btw it's a gas not a liguid( ok not at normal temps, and preasure anyway) sorry somebody woulda flammed me about that. so you can't "drain it" into a container. the easiest wat to tell is locate the fitting on the lines and push in on the schrader valve ( looks like a valve core in your wheel) and see if any rush's out, WATCH YOUR EYE'S,

Freon is a gas at atmospheric pressure, so as soon as you open a lin or fitting it will all escape, assuming you have any left. I suggest you check if it has any pressure (by quickly depressing the valve at the fill connection) if you have pressure the "Green" thing to do is to have it recovered by a certified shop.

98XJeep said:
does it even have any preasure left in the system?..........oh btw it's a gas not a liguid( ok not at normal temps, and preasure anyway) sorry somebody woulda flammed me about that. so you can't "drain it" into a container. the easiest wat to tell is locate the fitting on the lines and push in on the schrader valve ( looks like a valve core in your wheel) and see if any rush's out, WATCH YOUR EYE'S,
Now I just look dumb. Man, I hate when that happens.

The AC has never worked since I have had the Jeep which is about 5 years, and I dont think the previous owner had the AC working either, so Id be willing to bet it has never been "charged" other then the factory.

I tried finding a shrader valve, but couldnt find one anywhere. I had two shrader type of fittings on the pump, but there was nothing to press inside of them, and nothing came out when I took the caps off of them. Where is this valve located?

And like I said before, taking the Jeep to a shop is out. This is what it looks like at the moment:
Picture067.jpg

by the looks of it and the time since it has been I don't think you have much to worry about. Try loosening a fitting slowly to see if any thing comes out.

you can, depending on where you live, get a refrigerant containment can. It hooks up like a refil bottle, but it is empty and the gas expells into the can which has a shut off valve to hold whatever left is in it. You can ask some A/C guys if they have one available to use.

Id say your pretty safe to leave the garge doors open and cut the rubber hose if you look away. Thats what i did and it was pretty well, empty.

xalexjx said:
Id say your pretty safe to leave the garge doors open and cut the rubber hose if you look away. Thats what i did and it was pretty well, empty.

Alot do that, but I hate admitting to it :pirate1:

xalexjx said:
I just cut the hoses when i swapped the engine in my 94, chances are if it doesnt work theres no freon in it. You can remove everything but the compressor unless you go to a different belt.
Just for reference, here is a thread with the part numbers for the pully set up for a 4.0 without AC.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=934153

Does anyone know where the check valve is? And also, what do you do with the lines that run into the firewall? Do I need to cap them?

those lines run to the evaporater and leaving them open will not harm any thing, it acts like a heater core only in reverse.....what check valve?

ohh sorry, I think there on the compressor or very near it, you said earlier that you removed some caps but there was nothing to push? maybe somebody already took them out.........or did you find a 5/16 head of a bolt under the caps?

mk153smaw said:
you can, depending on where you live, get a refrigerant containment can. It hooks up like a refil bottle, but it is empty and the gas expells into the can which has a shut off valve to hold whatever left is in it. You can ask some A/C guys if they have one available to use.
Alright, so I started to pull a line and gas started to come out. So It looks like there is still freon in the system.

Where can one get one of those empty bottles to remove the gas into? Im in northern California if that matters.

jeepnuts311 said:
x2,

dont take the A/c completely out, turn it into OBA

-Tim

edit: i think you and I have pm'd about converting a/c to oba, or maybe that was somebody else, but its easy!
Dont think that was me.

I have no want for OBA. I want to completely remove the system but there is still gas in the system. I would rather not release it all out into the atmosphere.
Maybe I should just buy some carbon credits....:firedevil

Starboard M said:
Dont think that was me.

I have no want for OBA. I want to completely remove the system but there is still gas in the system. I would rather not release it all out into the atmosphere.
Maybe I should just buy some carbon credits....:firedevil

you're right, it wasnt you. what i found when looking to "escape" my system was that there were no places around that would touch R12. They wouldnt even suck it out.

I ended up pushing the schrader valve and nothing happened so i cut the hose. 3 or 4 drips of green liquid came out and that was all, no hissing or swoosh.

if you turn on the a/c and nothing happens, its because you have low pressure. the system has a safety switch called a "low pressure switch" to where nothing happens when there is low pressure. It is to save the pump. after learning that, but KNOWING my pump worked (manually overrode the system) then i knew that if i had any pressure, it was minimal.

you may not be able to use this info since you have a r134 system. but i hope this helps.

-Tim

Back