• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which Dana 30 Synthetic fluid

Red97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so, I just scored a sweet deal on a D30 HP complete front axle with 4.56 gears and a detriot trutrac locker. I vent tube is broke, and I have a new one, and I am replacing stock cover with a HD cover and warn rock ring.

SOOOO.... It had mopar synthetic in it, but at $26 a quart (I need 2 quarts right?) I wanna know if there is something else out there that is good and compatible with the trutrac and a little more affordable!

Thanks!

Any gear oil would be OK.A Tru-Trac is gear driven-no clutches to worry about.
I use Valvoline 85-140 semi-synthetic in both ends,just to keep things simple.Royal Purple,RedLine or Lucas would work but are a little more $.

Wayne

Red97XJ said:
OK, so, I just scored a sweet deal on a D30 HP complete front axle with 4.56 gears and a detriot trutrac "limited slip". I vent tube is broke, and I have a new one, and I am replacing stock cover with a HD cover and warn rock ring.

SOOOO.... It had mopar synthetic in it, but at $26 a quart (I need 2 quarts right?) I wanna know if there is something else out there that is good and compatible with the trutrac and a little more affordable!

Thanks!
A True trac is not a locker!

Royal purple all the way, if you put money into an axle then use the good stuff IMO.:guitar:

royal purple everything here

SO, living in Indiana, would you recomend 75W110 or 75W90?

I am going to try and find some Amsoil.... anybody know if any parts stores carry that? Napa, autozone, etc.

Red97XJ said:
SO, living in Indiana, would you recomend 75W110 or 75W90?

I am going to try and find some Amsoil.... anybody know if any parts stores carry that? Napa, autozone, etc.

You will have to look online to find a local dealer or possibly in the phone book for a local dealer. You can also order it from an online dealer like myself and it will be shipped to your door in a few days.

I know RP is popular but I wonder if people are not reading my post w/ link to the testing results in it. If you are going to spend money on the "higher end" lubes, do your homework and look at the testing results for RP and then compare that to the cheaper priced lubes that tested way better. Sure it is your money, but isn't it best to know what products are actually testing fair and cost a little less than just throwing money at a name?
For about what RP is costing you could buy a much better product or you should just save some $ and buy the cheaper brands that still do better than RP...... oops...just fell off my soap box...
PLMK via PM if you would like to compare costs of Amsoil products w/ what you buy now regarless of who you buy from.

jjmat3, hey, impressive web site, pretty cool how it links to the main site. Do you still get the credit if I buy from main site?

I started this search because Mopar wants $25 for a quart of there synthetic!!

Either 75w90 or 75w110 would be fine. I go for the 110 because I tow a small trailer on occasion and I use the same gear oil in all 3 of my Jeeps to make it easier. The only other suggestion I can make is to possibly go by the weight suggesed by whatever locker/LS MFG you might be running. BTW, if you have a limited slip you will probably need to add some of the friction modifier too. Some LS's need it and some don't. My Auburn likes it added.

PM sent too.

Red97XJ said:
jjmat3, hey, impressive web site, pretty cool how it links to the main site. Do you still get the credit if I buy from main site?

I started this search because Mopar wants $25 for a quart of there synthetic!!

Amsoil actually recommends the 75w-140 if you are going to tow a trailer with the Jeep.....

His link goes to the main site out of contractual obligations.....

I'm right up the road in NW,IL and I run the 75w-140, absoutely no problems with it what so-ever no matter the climate. The way a multi-weight lube works is just like a multi-weight motor oil... It works like the lower number when cold, and like the larger one when warm. Or the 75w-90 and the 75w-140 both flow like a 75w lube when cold. But at operating temps, the 75w-90 works like a 90w, and the 75w-140 works like a 140w lubricant. The higher number equals out to a thicker viscosity at operating temps....

Last edited:
w_howey said:
Amsoil actually recommends the 75w-140 if you are going to tow a trailer with the Jeep.....

His link goes to the main site out of contractual obligations.....

I'm right up the road in NW,IL and I run the 75w-140, absoutely no problems with it what so-ever no matter the climate. The way a multi-weight lube works is just like a multi-weight motor oil... It works like the lower number when cold, and like the larger one when warm. Or the 75w-90 and the 75w-140 both flow like a 75w lube when cold. But at operating temps, the 75w-90 works like a 90w, and the 75w-140 works like a 140w lubricant. The higher number equals out to a thicker viscosity at operating temps....

True on what Amsoil recommends (in their not all inclusive guide) but they also market the W110 as a nice compromise gear oil for light duty towing applications which is what I sometimes do w/ my XJ and KJ's. I wouldn't tow max weight for long distances but it is certainly better than other brand syn gear oils for lighter duty towing applications.
When you click on my sig link it takes you to my own web site but when you go to my store page you are in My store where I do get credit for purchases. I can however get you better pricing if you PM me direct w/ your needs.

"75W110 Applications
AMSOIL SEVERE GEAR® Synthetic EP Lubricants are excellent for severe applications, such as towing, hauling, steep hill driving, commercial use, plowing, racing, off-road use, rapid acceleration, frequent stop-and-go operation and high ambient temperatures.

Higher horsepower, towing and hauling capabilities of modern vehicles make turbo diesel pick-ups, SUVs, vans and delivery/utility vehicles especially prone to severe service. Other severe duty vehicles include light, medium and heavy-duty trucks, buses, heavy equipment, 4X4s, tow trucks, race cars, tractors, and motorhomes."

jjmat3 said:
You will have to look online to find a local dealer or possibly in the phone book for a local dealer. You can also order it from an online dealer like myself and it will be shipped to your door in a few days.

I know RP is popular but I wonder if people are not reading my post w/ link to the testing results in it. If you are going to spend money on the "higher end" lubes, do your homework and look at the testing results for RP and then compare that to the cheaper priced lubes that tested way better. Sure it is your money, but isn't it best to know what products are actually testing fair and cost a little less than just throwing money at a name?
For about what RP is costing you could buy a much better product or you should just save some $ and buy the cheaper brands that still do better than RP...... oops...just fell off my soap box...
PLMK via PM if you would like to compare costs of Amsoil products w/ what you buy now regarless of who you buy from.

I'm always a little leary of 'independent laboratory' test of products on a manufacturers website, especially when its multi level marketing.Also RP gear oil is the cheapest at my local Pepboys, who sells cheaper/better gear oil than Royal Purple?

cloudswimmer said:
I'm always a little leary of 'independent laboratory' test of products on a manufacturers website, especially when its multi level marketing.Also RP gear oil is the cheapest at my local Pepboys, who sells cheaper/better gear oil than Royal Purple?

Looking at the test results, you would do better than RP w/ Castrol Syntec gear oil, Mobil 1, Redline, Pennzoil, etc. It is funny that people get so attached to whatever they have always used and don't like to look at other published results. If this test was not correct I am going to guess that all those other brands could argue the results and give their own testing results but guess what you won't find on their web sites? You won't find them comparing themselves in writing to Amsoil. Sure it is a MLM marketed product but you tell me what is so wrong w/ that? Not a whole lot different than an auto parts store buying from a warehouse which bought from a wholesaler which bought from the factory. Everyone is making their money off the product in similar fashion to the dealers that sell Amsoil. I don't play the MLM game, I market what I have to sell and that is all. I could care less about signing up dealers under me, etc. It doesn't matter to me and this is not my main job. FWIW, I do have a Jeep shop that is a retailer of mine too and they are very happy with the products and value compared to other brands they have used.

Anyhow, I don't care what anyone uses, I just like to talk about Amsoil products and give out the info comparing them to the other products on the market. If RP is working for people then cool deal, I just like to let everyone know they are not getting the best by any means and still paying top dollar for it.

Back