• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how big is too big?

Tintr

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 cherokee sport with a rustys 6.5 long arm lift with acos in front and a 6.5 rear spring and 1" shackles. i have only had my jeep for about 6 months and have built if from bone stock. i am only running a 33" tire and 4.56 gears. for the last few months i have been wanting 35s but now am considering a 37. i go on lots of rutted out trails and constantly hang up on my diffs. but then when i get off camber i already feel a little tipsy and i couldnt imagine hot top heavy a 37 would feel like. I know you all are gonna say not with stock axles but i already have Dana 44s front and rear with 4340 chromolly inners and warn outers with locking hubs. no lockers yet but will be done when tires are done. just need some professional advice from people who know there stuff not sarcastic advice from posers with 31s who claim they go everywhere. thanks

Tintr said:
just need some professional advice from people who know there stuff not sarcastic advice from posers with 31s who claim they go everywhere. thanks

Well, I go everywhere. :dunce:

Run a set of 35's for a while then decide! Sounds like you are set pretty good as is.

You really won't be gaining much height if you keep the same lift ,trim the fender and slam on the 37's.It might actually help since you will be adding weight down low with the larger tires as well.

Though I will say that even with Chromo's in the axles you still run the risk of shearing an axle shaft or a pinion gear.

You could go the rout I am taking. I shaved a 14bolt for my rear and currently loking for a dana 60 front. I am definately going to 38"ish so this is a logical choice for me. SHaving the pumkins turned out to be an easy deal too. I will be posting a full write up in the comming week on how to do it easy. I shaved 2 1/2inches!

When she starts crying and passes out.

I would have to say that tire size isnt really the factor when getting hung up... You need to focus on getting those axles geared and locked... as well as learning the best route instead of just throwing it in the ruts. If your putting Dana 44s in, see if you can shave some metal off the bottom of the diff, that always helps... but make sure you know what your doing so you dont land on a rock and spill your diff fluid everywhere.
You'll learn over time that it isnt the vehicle that makes it through everything, its the driver... Smart driving can get you through most obstacles even if your equipped with 31's... and yah, its possible to have 31's and be just as capable as many other rigs with larger tires. As for tire size thats up to you, just make sure your axles and your rig will handle it without breaking something when you decide to stomp on it. Sounds like your headed in the right direction with the D44's. If your going to go with larger tires, I wouldnt lift it any taller... towering over all your buddies isn't going to help you when your on your side because your center or gravity was too high. Trim your fenders and properly install bumpstops if you go with larger tires, youll be happier in the long run... Its going to be more highway friendly as well. Im curious as to what kind of steering setup you plan on running with the Dana 44 axles? are they regeared?

thanks zac and jess too. really big help! I do have bushwacker cutouts on too so my fenders have already been hacked. looks pretty stupid on 33s, but thought i would never need biger tires. you know... always trying to keep up with the jones

blk, they both have 4.56 in them now. I run a kevins off road steering with some parts from currie too. I am not new to offroading but new to cherokees, and long travel. havent been out in my jeep long enough to really know its limits but from the drivers seet on off camber it just feels wrong. what about running a 35X 13.50 and maybee a 1" wheel spacer to widen my stance? I have also considered a rockcrawler rear coil conversion. whats your thoughts?

I run 35s with 5.5 RE coils Ft and 3.5 RE packs with 1.5 shackles and lots of trimming. I feel your pain in being to top heavy. My CJ was to tall and eventually rolled it hard enough to kill it. If it were me i'd pull the coil spacers, lose a leaf in the rear, run 35s , trim and bumpstop to fit 37s if you are so inclined, you've got plenty of axle.

Tintr said:
what about running a 35X 13.50 and maybee a 1" wheel spacer to widen my stance?
I ran spacers on the front axle of my Toyota, but Im not a huge fan of them. Having a wider stance and wider tires would definitely give you some more bite in those ruts... I would try getting a different wheel backspacing rather than spacers.
Tintr said:
I have also considered a rockcrawler rear coil conversion. whats your thoughts?
As for rear coils... everyone I know that has coils all around have no complaints. I just bought a zj though so Im allready equipped with coils...That was on my wish list for the longest time when I had my xj, but I never had the $$ to spend. If you go that route I wanna see some flex pics when your done.

Back