• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5 swap

xjfreak07

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 86 cherokee 2.5L 5 speed what would it take to swap in a 93 4.0 auto into it?

also how would i tell which tranny i have, from what i have read it is either a BW T5 or and ax5 what are the differences, which one is better/

xjfreak07 said:
i have an 86 cherokee 2.5L 5 speed what would it take to swap in a 93 4.0 auto into it?

also how would i tell which tranny i have, from what i have read it is either a BW T5 or and ax5 what are the differences, which one is better/

To swap in the 4.0 you are gonna need the entire wiring harness from the 93. All of the exhaust the gas tank and pump probably the fuel line also. Motor tranny transfer case and the driveshafts. Plus with your being an 86 gonna need to massage the firewall a little with BFH for valve cover/head clearence.Trust me its alot of work I am doing the same thing to an 88 Comanche right now.

Best to tell whichtranny is climb under there and look for the borg warner emblem cast into the side of the tranny. If you decide to the swap and you have an AX5 that you wanna part with I might be interested in. Let me know if you have questions with the swap because mine will be done by the end of Janurary with any kind of luck.

Back