• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bogged down

xj151

NAXJA Forum User
the other day while wheelin i was trying to climb a boulder but when i put the motor under load it started to crap out and then the air intake started to back fire any ideas

By the sounds it is definately your muffler bearings are shot, get a tornado and a circle pipe for the exhaust
original.aspx

You have to give more info than that, I agree with the tune-up question.

Last edited:
well the blinker fluid was full so i dont. i put new plugs wires cap and rotor on about 10 miles ago. its not a daily driver. air filter is clean. it runs fine and idles good but when i was trying to get front tire over a boulder i had to give it more gas when doing so the jeep wouldnt move because the motor would bogg down under the load. when i would let off to an idle it ran fine then try again same thing. but when driving on normal road runs fine. its an 89 4.0 auto

31s. some sort of locker in rear. and no if the motor didnt bogg im almost sure it would have went over it. i recently bought it dont know to much about the gears or the locker, havent looked at it yet

how long ya have it? you lift it for those 31's or was it that way when bought?
depending the angle you hit it at you just may not have been gettin enough gass to it.

ive had it a bought 4 months. and havnt changed anything except the gas and tune up. i was on flat ground trying to put front tire on top of rock. it even had alittle dirt in front of rock like a little ramp, then was straight up for like maybe 10 inches

Does it bog when WOT on flat ground?
Time for a fuel pressure test to eliminate fuel issues.
What year is your XJ. It's not stated in your profile.
Does it bog only on that rock?
Manual or auto trans? I bog when gear is not low enough.

its an 89 4.0 auto. i was in 4 lo and in 1st gear. if i stand on from a dead stop it cuts out almost dies then goes. its not to fast. but this was different i slowly rolled into the gas.

my bros jeep craps out with any less than 1/4 of a tank when off kilter,I figure it was the cheap replacement tank he put in

Does it only bog when in 4WD?
From a dead stop in 2hi what happens when you floor it?
In my 87' I had an issue with a 4in piece of fuel line that connects pump to the assembely that locks into fuel tank. Fuel line rotted through all that was left was braided threads.
Did you gap the plugs correctly?
A fuel pressure tester is a handy tool for these things also a DVM for the ol' RENIX tests.

the bog happens when in 2wd. the plugs i didnt change they looked good. ill try the fuel test

Back