• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mobil-1 oil and filters

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Got dragged into Walmart yesterday, they had Mobil-1 'high milage' 10w30 and 10W40 on the shelf in 5 quart containers for $19 and they started carrying Mobil-1 filters for $9.70. I'm now set for the next two rounds of oil changes on all 4 jeeps......

My walley had them for 20 last time I was in there. Delvac 1300 was 9.99 for a 5 quart!!!!!

Hey Rich, My wal-mart was out of HM mobil-1 today. Now that I think about it, I think they were the 3.78L 4qt. 's last time. No M-1 filter either. Oh well, they did stock back up on the old RotellaT 5w-40 syn. SL. I'll be running some uoa's with this oil in a 4.0 since I got a lot of it.
Got my M-1 301 EP filters from Advanced for 9.88

I was going to get M-1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40, If no M-1 HM or Rotella-T syn jugs. Same formula as Delvac 1.

Ive decided to start running my jeep on a 50/50 blend of dino/synthetic. I have been using 4 quarts 10w30 valvoline and 2 quarts 5w50 mobil1 (apperantly you guys down south don't have the grade of oil from mobil1??) to "break it into" synthetics, so to speak. Anyways, finding that my jeep is running smoother and no extra leaks to speak of so far. Next oil change will run a true 50/50 blend of the 5w50 mobil1/10w30 valvoline.

you dont have to "break it into" synthetics. you dont have to do anything to switch to a synthetic oil or switch back to dino oil.

I've been running Mobil 1 in any vehicle I care for. My 94 had 78000 miles and has been on a strict diet of 5w-30 winter and 10w-30 summer. It now has 131,000 miles and still no engine issues. (knock on wood) lol. I also use 15W-50 in my four wheelers and mowers. "Break in" like said before is not needed. If its going to leak after you use it ,it was going to leak there anyways and sludge had just sealed it up. Just means time for a gasket.

94xj6.5 said:
you dont have to "break it into" synthetics. you dont have to do anything to switch to a synthetic oil or switch back to dino oil.

I know that, I'm more concerned with leaks developing if I switch it over to full synthetic too quickly, like I have heard of alot of other people. I did replace the RMS around a year/10k ago, and did the valve cover around 6 months ago. I have not touched the oil filter o-rings yet, though. As much as I like to wrench on my jeep, I'd rather not have to re-do a RMS, even though I doubt it would start leaking again. It's been drip-free for a year now and I'm just taking every precaution I feel necessary to keep it that way, even if "breaking it into" synthetics sounds ridiculous.

Back