• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Belt, Charging Issue

sublime600

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all well, I have a new belt on my Jeep and the other day it was raining i put on defrosters when I got in the car and my battery gauge dropped and it almost felt like it was going to die. I gave it gas and the belt squeeked little more but stopeed. and my gauge went back up. I then turned off defroster and it stopped. So I know the AC compressor kicks on with defrost, is my compressor bad? It did it a couple times in the summer with AC on thats why I changed the belt in first place. Or is my alternator bad? The belt is really tight too. Thanks guys

Before you suspect hard parts, check the inside of your belt for glazing (shiny spots.) The "inside" of the belt is, natch, the ribbed side (just in case...)

If you see any shiny bits, get a new belt. Also, get a softish wire wheel (a brass or bronze wire wheel is great for this) and use it to gently hit all the ribbed pullys on accessories - paying particular attention to your power steering pump and your alternator (since both are driven constantly, and have a greater effect on driveability.) You're not looking to remove material from the pully, just break glaze - so a gentle touch is all you really need.

Belt glazing is more common than most people think, and causes the sort of symptoms you describe. Anytime the belt itself squeals, it's losing traction on the pully surfaces - which causes glazing. Glazing causes loss of traction - as you can imagine, it's a cycle that builds on itself. Replacing the belt and cleaning the pullys will usually see to this.

You can also use a Scotch-Brite hand pad to break glaze on pullys, but it's a bit more difficult (and requires more muscle and care.) Also, you can use a steel wire wheel - but be sure to be gentle! You don't want to gouge any pullys...

Back