• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trackbar and Draglink angles

MGrobe

NAXJA Member #968
I am ever so slowly finishing my WJ steering/braking upgrade and am still working on the trackbar angle. Right now with the steering wheel centered my draglink descends at 5 degrees. Currently my Trackbar appears to descend at roughly 4.5 degrees. I could further modify the trackbar axle mount to lower it enough to hit the 5 degree mark, but not without some added hassle.

I realize it may be a little difficult to say with any certainty whether or not .5 a degree will equate to bumpsteer or not, but I am curious if anyone has any opinions.

Although modifying the mount now would suck, modifying it later out of necessity would be worse.

Thanks.

My educated guess from building a few Xj steering setup would be that a .5degree difference is insignificant if the drag link and track bar are exactly the same length. And thats assuming they are both perfectly straight. When you put bends in either, the angle of the body does not matter, its the angle between the two pivots. If there is a large difference in length, you'll have some bumpsteer regardless. Whether its more than you can handle or not is for you to decide.

Currently they aren't the same length. I could make a drastic change to the design and get them closer in length, but that would be a lot of work or perhaps even impossible to happen. The design involved a number of compromises.

Can't exactly remember the length difference but I want to say the drag link is maybe 3 inches longer at the moment.

MGrobe said:
Currently they aren't the same length. I could make a drastic change to the design and get them closer in length, but that would be a lot of work or perhaps even impossible to happen. The design involved a number of compromises.

Can't exactly remember the length difference but I want to say the drag link is maybe 3 inches longer at the moment.

Well, in that case, one half of a degree isn't anything to sweat. Bolt it together. Drive it. If it works, viola! If it doesn't work,back to the drawing board!

Back