• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flushing question.

Jeepm@n

NAXJA Forum User
Ok tommorrow I'm getting the 94 Jeep coolant flushed. My question is tonight I was changing the oil and was going to put the Prestone Super Flush in it, but the directions are telling me to drain the system and just add water. This I cannot and do. It's going to be 15 degrees here tonight and I'm out of propane for my heater and I do not run the wood burner all night for safety reasons. Can I just put the flush in with the old coolant for now? By using this flush chemical am I opening myself to coolant leakage problems? I need to travel right around 700 miles this Saturday to Monday. Cash is tight and I can't have crap breaking right now.

I just put mine in with the crap coolant that was in there...puked out some nasty stuff when I cleaned it out at the end so I don't see the problem in doing that.

As far as leakage...? Who knows, its always a possibility but there's only one way to find out for sure.

I always scheduled my flushes for a long trip like a run from the poconos to syracuse which is about 7 hours round trip. That flush needs to be in there for the time they specify, it redisolves the build up back to a solution where it can be flushed out. I would just settle for the shop coolant flush, won't be as good as the 7 hour stuff but you can do that in the spring.
One year I did it in the dead of winter, Feb, drained the system empty the nite before, left it drained overnite then in the morning, 5am, before leaving I dumped the stuff in, added warm tap, not hot, water and drove to Syracuse NY and then back, weather forecast for that day was high 40's so I got home around 5, back flushed it, drained it and refilled with 50/50 mix. But I drove it all day and only parked it for about 2 hours for a service call and that was in an underground lot, syracuse was 28F with a 40mph wind off the lakes.

Are you adding it right to the radiator or in the coolant bottle? Im looking to do this too. Just need some pointers, If you ran the heater would you need to backflush?

I'm adding it to the radiator tonight. Do not put it in your overflow unless you have the closed cooling system with the pressurized tank. I'm going to do what RichP typed. Thanks again for all your guy's opinions.

Oh just a word of warning to anyone changing their radiator caps. I went to the Escanaba Advance Auto. I was there to get my larger Mobil 1 Oil filter and radiator cap. They tried to sell me a 13PSI cap instead of the correct 16PSI cap. This is what they pulled up in their computers. 16PSI is what the manual and the original factory cap had printed on it.

Jeepm@n said:
I'm adding it to the radiator tonight. Do not put it in your overflow unless you have the closed cooling system with the pressurized tank. I'm going to do what RichP typed. Thanks again for all your guy's opinions.

Oh just a word of warning to anyone changing their radiator caps. I went to the Escanaba Advance Auto. I was there to get my larger Mobil 1 Oil filter and radiator cap. They tried to sell me a 13PSI cap instead of the correct 16PSI cap. This is what they pulled up in their computers. 16PSI is what the manual and the original factory cap had printed on it.

Hold on, are you going to drain it and leave it empty over nite then refill it with water and cleaner or just add it to the antifreeze ? Just remember if you do run pure water and cleaner don't leave it off long enough for the water to freeze. The only reason I did was because of the weather forecast and the length of the service call trip up and back, either way I still ended up doing it all in the dark out in the driveway with a trouble light for company.
As for sublime, it goes in the radiator.

Nah I'm going to just add it to the old for now and I'll flush it better this spring. Too cold to even run on the highway here with just water. I've had my Ford F-250 freeze half the radiator in Montana about 11 years ago while driving down the highway. Found out by the water pump going BOOM. Thats what the repair guy's told me that afternoon replacing the water pump and belt that half the radiator was ice. I felt like a turd being I neglected it like that:doh:

Back