• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5L to 4.0L swap questions

new5000

NAXJA Forum User
Ok heres the situation.
I have a 87 2.5L XJ daily driver and a 90 4.0L donor. I am getting the donor tommorow and scrapping it on Sat. The 4L was rebuilt 30K mi ago. Unfortunately the donor is an auto so I need to find an AX15, but thats not my question. My question is: Am i forgeting anything on my List-O-Parts to take from the donor?
Engine
motor mounts
accessories/radiator/vaccume crap/miscelaneous
fuel pump
possibly wiring harness just in case

I dont need the auto trans or computer since im going manual.
So what am I forgetting??? PLEASE IM A NEWB!!!

Depending on the build date you may need a torch and a sledge hammer as well.

If it is a early 87 (as in left over 86 body) The firewall will not have the relief for the longer 4.0, The 4.0 was not put into service until 87.

I ran into this problem with a 87 I used to have.

You did not say if you had a 4WD or not so I will ASSume it is. I would get the both drive shafts as well.

Good luck.

If he is swapping the AW4 for a manual, the driveshafts will not be the right length.

Yea it is 4x4, NP231
OK i had heard about the firewall issue before and also heard that the dowpipe that goes from the exhast manifold to the cat is different for 4L to clear the oilpan.
Thanks for the heads-up and if you think of anything else please let me know.

Radiator, Core support, p/s hoses, fuel lines (rubber part at least), check to see if you hood has the same type of latches. I am not sure about years, but I swapped a 93 4.0L into an 85, and in order to fit I had to use the radiator and header panel, and since the 93 hood latch was on the sides, and the 85 was in the old header panel, I had to use hood pins. :doh:

Back