• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Limeted slip in the front?

pataterchip

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched through the treads on limited slips and have not found what i am looking for I am swaping in a ford 9" and am going to full spool it in the process of regearing it to 4.56. I am also regearing the front and wanted to do something to incease traction up front as well. I only drive it on the street to and from trails but I live in SoCal so some of of trails are a ways away. If I put a limited slip in the front how will it affect the "STREET" performance? I don't have the $$$:rattle: for a selectable so it's LSD or open.
Will it be safe to drive on the freeway @ 65-70 MPH and will it be safe on the mountain roads in big bear and arrowhead?
Please be as specific as possible I want to get my diffs done this weekend so I need to order parts today/tomorrow.

I run a tru-trac up front and it is fine, drives great, but needs a little driver input on the trail. ( brake pedal) I would be more concerned about a spool at highway speeds.

Even if you put a full locker in the front, it would be invisible until you engaged the front end. Now if you have full time 4wd, then it would be a problem. The spool in the rear will be constant and give more push on corners while wearing tires much faster than a locker, but as metioned before a spool is constant & shows no harsh engagements like a locker can if not smooth on the gas

Rob

What front axle?

It sounds like you want to put a detroit or lunchbox up front. It will be the same as open in 2wd and give you want you want on the trail.

Put an Aussie locker in for $240. You can often find them for $200 on ebay.

On the road you won't know its there, and on the trail it will hook up nice.

On a very sharp turn (think u-turn) you will hear it go "click click click", but it will have zero effect on driving.

The locker will lock under torque from the driveshaft, forward or back. With no load on the driveshaft (2wd) it does not do anything.

Its true. Where are you at? There are a few guys aroudn with aussies up front that I'm sure would be happy to let you drive their jeep around the block.

They are very similar yes. IMHO the aussie is a better locker, it seems to be built better and the company stands behind it. Lockrites have a limit on tire size that if you exceed will void the warrantee, Aussie does not.

I don't know anyone over in redlands running an autolocker up front, but if you post in SoCal i'm sure someone is and will speak up.

I've the aussie in the D30, it work very good.
The only prob isn't possible to use anymore full time 4x4.
Just some vibes on street driving removed after rebalancing the front driveshaft (it rotate all the time, also in 2wd)

marcoleo said:
I've the aussie in the D30, it work very good.
The only prob isn't possible to use anymore full time 4x4.

Thats true, but most people don't have full time 4x4, and with a spooled rear he would not be using it if he did.

marcoleo said:
Just some vibes on street driving removed after rebalancing the front driveshaft (it rotate all the time, also in 2wd)

yes, but that has nothing to do with the aussie. :)

yes all problems not relate to the aussie...
Any kind of auto locker in front create driving problems in 4x4 full time
I confirm that the quality of aussie is better then lockright (I've used also this)
I'd my previous XJ td with the 231 aussie on both axle and work pretty good

Aussie all the way, you won't be disappointed! I have loved mine, and will be installing them in my new axles as well! You won't know it's there in 2wd, maybe some light clicking, but I have to listen for it in mine.

I ran a welded 8.25 with the aussie in front last summer. You won't even pay attention to the front because the rear will make so much noise...read tires barking. Mine is getting ready to get D44s F&R, and I look forward to having a rear aussie instead. The welded rear kicked ass off-road, but it was a temporary fix for my chipped spider gears until I got an axle that can be geared lower. It held up some abuse though, I was actually surprised and expected it to go boom anytime, it didn't though! (not that I recommend a welded rear!)

I run a Aussie in the front of my trail rig, no major issues. Its noisy on the street but kicks but on the trail!

I pull the Aussie out for the winter every year and put the spiders back in(it only takes about 2 hours and no set-up is required). Driving a front locker on the ice that we get is no fun. I have a TruTrac in the rear for now, but I'm going to lincoln lock another 8.25 soon and save some coin for a 9".

If you plan on using it for a DD/weekend warrior, I would go selectable front/rear or go with TruTracs. If money is a issue then go with the Aussie in the front and whatever kind of Lunch Box locker you can find for the 8.25.

Last edited:
Back