• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Start

cajunbull61

NAXJA Forum User
I hate to!!!1 but my 91 won't start. It cranks and seems to have fuel at the rail but won't start. I replaced the CPS about a month ago. My problem is, I'm about 2 hours away from where my daughter has the Jeep. Any ideas on what to check?

i had a similiar problem in my 90 check your fusible link wires behind the battery i had one go bad and all it did was crank over but it just wouldnt go the extra lil bit and actually fire up...its usually like 6-8 inches long and there are a few of them but they are pretty easily fixed...good luck

Sounds like the Park-neutral safety switch. it keeps you from startin it in gear. You can bypass it by poppin the cover off the starter relay ans pushin the little spring in:lecture:. Thats what i do. Cuz a new P-NSwitch is like 2 hundred bucks. But i also had nasty wires like he^^ is sayin. fixed those but it still kinda acts up

I'll check the fusible links. I removed and cleaned the NSS a while back when I replaced the starter switch and key cylinder. When I bought the Jeep it had a push button starter. After replacing everything it wouldn't crank. Turned out to be a fuse labeled "heated rear window". Go figure!!! If the NSS is acting up, wouldn't it just keep the Jeep from cranking?

If it's cranking, it's not the NSS.

Check:

Connections at coil, dist., other ignition wires
Power/spark from coil/dist., other ignition wires

ASD (auto shut down) relay/fuse.

Ballast resistor

Finally got to check out the Jeep. Put in 2.5 gallons of gas, no start. Checked fuses, wires etc, no start. Put a fuel pressure gauge on, gas was present but no reading on the gauge when cranking. Put a spark plug test light on to check for spark, started right up. Drove about 2.5 hrs back homeand it died 4 times. Put it in neutral and she would start right back up. No sputtering or shaking etc, just stops running like you flipped a switch. I'm thinking of replacing the fuel pump and cleaning out the tank. When I changed the fuel filter, the gas that came out was black. I also may change the stator in the distributor. I heard that can cause similar symptoms. Any suggestions???

I'm getting a new fuel pump and a distributor pickup and change both of them out before she takes her Jeep back to school. Radiator shops around here want 150.00 to 250.00 to boil out the gas tank, so I'm going to clean it out the best I can while I have it off. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Back