• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle bind hp44

gump

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm in the middle of a 44/9" swap, and am running the ford radius arm setup. After reading a lot of info on here, I finally understand how the axle will bind under flex due to the nature of the radius arm attatchment at the axle. My question is this, has anyone running this setup had breakege due to the bind? I'm bolting the radius arm brackets through 3x3 1/4" angle with nut plates inside the original "frame", the angle runs from the lca's to the forward leaf spring hangers and will also be welded/bolted to the unibody. As an added measure, the brackets will also be welded to the angle. I'm wondering if anyone has seen a mount rip off under very hard flex due to the bind. Any of this make sense?

see my posts in that thread...

his broke because of poor exicution in lengthening the arms, not because of the inherant design...

dont cut out all the structure of the arm, then expect it to take BIG time twisting loads...

Wll, all I did was shorten the arms and run box tube over them like this:
P1010114.jpg

I know the whole setup looks a little redneck, but looks don't matter right? I'm contemplating running a couple bolts through the arms as an added measure as I've heard welding to these arms is a little tricky. Thoughts?

A little redneck? Thats major redneck! It should look more like this.Why would you shorten them?
buggy0050yo.jpg

Last edited:
The reasons are varied, and the biggest factors were that A) the axle was given to me and had been removed by torch so the arms were f'ed up at the frame end, B) I don't own a tube bender and don't have access to one, but square can be bent by notching and welding. I'm doing this build in my yard because I have no garage, and I'm working with what I have access to. I have seen and drooled over that exact picture several times, and actually the ford arm was shortened to about the same length as the one you pictured. I only wish I could produce an arm that nice and clean, but that just isn't in the cards at the moment. I've seen just as many pictures of arms that were sleeved with box tubing. And just so everybody knows, the few welds that are in this picture are just crappy tack welds to mock stuff up. All finish welding is being done by a qualified welder (not me).

Last edited:
Back