• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 Front axle Locker? Silly question????

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
OK, on my 90 with AW4/command trac, stock wheels with Goodyear Wranglers....D/D, just driving in the snow, skiing kinda stuff....
Still getting some goofy thud noise when I am in 4wd/hi. I had a shop check all my u-joints, after I checked them, they all seem to be in great condition. Wondering if the disconnect on the front axle is the issue. So, here are my questions:

1. Factory manual says something about replacing oil after removing cover on the disconnect. I thought the axle gets it's lube from the diff?

2. Can I just buy a "locker" and get ride of the disconnect? Is there any disadvantage? If so, any product you recommend?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
Bob;)

Your right he did not use the right term.. but do ya have to be a d!ck?

Your axle has a 2 peice shaft on the Passenger side that when you engage 4WD is vacume actuated to engage.. (Basically it moves a coupler from just one shaft to both shafts). and yes this side shaft does get its lube from the diff but if you take the actuator cover off you will get fluid

your thud can be from a couple different things..
1. your actuator could be full of crap as most are due to people not changing diff lube and not taking the actuator off every so often and giving it a good cleaning... Try this.. and see what happens... you will also get to see how the coupler works.. its only 4 bolts and some RTV :)
2. your coupler is shot?
3 it is in a totaly different componant but lets check this out first shall we :)

Yes, I used the wrong "term" :explosion

Yes, I am talking about the disconnect. If I take it apart, can I see if there is a issue and clean up the switch? Is there any other things I should look for?

Is replacing the switch with a manual linkiage have any real advantage.

Thanks for the info..

Enjoy!

Bob:confused1

If you want to get rid of the vaccum you can buy or make a cable actuated setup. I run the one from 4x4PosiLok. Search around, lots of info here.

Back