• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking for '91 power seat R&R options

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
The '91 XJ Laredo beater that I recently inherited has many many problems with its power seats, and I am trying to figure out what my options are exactly.

For one thing, the power seat motor on the driver side is dying (clutch grinds with any kind of load), but I understand from the local Jeep stealership's parts department that left and right motors are interchangable so I can get another motor from the junkyard and fix that pretty easily I guess.

Problem two is that the bases have blown out on both of them. The previous owners (my parents) had the bases welded and strengthened, but my guess is that the fix was temporary at best, since the seats are leaning again.

The third problem is that the actual seats themselves are wrecked. The recliner mechanism doesn't return to full upright position, the foam is blown out on the sides, and so forth.

In short, if I could get away with it, I would replace everything, from brackets on up. Unfortunately this is proving to be extremely difficult. All of the aftermarket seats are for CJs and/or Wranglers and nobody seems to make seats specifically for the XJ, and even when you can find somebody with an adapter bracket they don't have power seat options.

I've read a lot of threads about ZJ and WJ seats, but they are kind of lacking details relevant to my problem. So for those of you who have done it, some questions: Do these seats bolt directly into the 91 floorpan without mods, or do I need to get the brackets for a 95+ as well as the seats? For power seats in particular, did you keep your existing brackets and motors or did you bring everything over?

Thanks for any info.

(Yes I've searched and read every thread, thanks)

What about making a custom base and using the nicest seats for the best deal that you can find?

I want some heated comfy bucket seats out of a late model sedan, utilizing the stock base with some modification, or fabbing up my own from scratch.

edit: Making/modifying seat bases might not be the best bet for everyone, you don't want to have any questionable build quality when it comes to something like your seats. Seat belt = not so effective when seat goes flying in an accident.

Last edited:
Back